Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've beenb rebuilding a 67 convertible with my teenage son for the last year. Having a blast and feels like we've made every mistake possible. We're stuck on this right now: the speedo cable won't go in the gauge fitting. I ordered a new speedometer cable (as part of a t5 conversion) and on the end of the cable that inserts into the speedo gauge, there is a small brass housing which transitions the round cable to a square cable that goes in the female gauge fitting. The square cable end fits in the gauge fitting -- but the brass housing doesn't. The gauge fitting is round and the housing is hexagonal -- so it doesn't fit (see pic). The car came with a chewed up cable that had a brass washer-like housing that seemed to lie on top of the gauge fitting (see pic). I've ordered 2 new cables now just to be sure -- both have the brass fitting that doesn't insert into the gauge.

Is the brass cable housing just suppossed to lie on top of gauge fitting? Or do I have it all wrong?

Would love some help!

Attachments

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
The brass part isn't supposed to go inside the speedo shaft. It's there to keep the cable from retreating out of the speedo and going into the transmission. Just shove the square part into the speedo drive shaft, slide the cup onto the back of the speedo, and tighten the nut with your fingers. Don't be fooled thinking a wrench needs to be used, that would be much too tight. Your second photo, of the cable stuck into the speedo drive shaft, is correct.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I just redid (lubed up my cable and speedo unit) this past weekend. The first time I had it out to replace the odometer the aftermarket cable stank so bad I tossed it and reused the old one. Many guys said that the end was going to be too long and may need to be trimmed 1/4". That may be the case with yours. Otherwise what 22GT said is correct. That washer seats again the cable housing and the end piece is a tongue that goes into the speedo unit. Make sure you use plenty of graphite lube in the speedo cable housing or you'll end up doing this again like I did :) I used graphite oil and then graphite powder. Put a few drops of that oil into the speedo as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts