Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a 67 coupe. And it runs great but I've gone thru 2 batteries in a month.. autozone tested it and said the vr was bad so I replacedd it and still no charge..well after lokking at a wiring d iagram it shows on the relay that the positive battery cable is on the side with the "s" blue green wire and the started motor cable on the side with the brown "I" wire.. but on my relay its opposite...the positive battery cable is on the far side that has the brown "I" wire ans the started cable on the "s" side... if I switch these will I do serious damage!!!!!! Or will this solve my charging problem..???????

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
that has absolutely nothing to do with charging. try this test instead. disconnect the voltage regulator. put a short jumper wire into the 'A' and 'F' connectors on the plug. put a voltmeter on the battery. if it now charges the v/r is bad. if not the alternator is not up to snuff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just turn on the car and see if it starts to charge? ..so the relay is alright even though the wires are on the oppisite side...could that be draining the battery while the car is "off" since thhe postivive is on the wrong side of the relay? Thanks for the jump wire tip ill try it out tonight!!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
that has absolutely nothing to do with charging. try this test instead. disconnect the voltage regulator. put a short jumper wire into the 'A' and 'F' connectors on the plug. put a voltmeter on the battery. if it now charges the v/r is bad. if not the alternator is not up to snuff.
Actually, it could if the output wire(s) from the alternator are not on the same terminal as the + battery cable.

·
Registered
520 Posts
^^^^ ding ding. If the battery is connected on the right and the alternator output is connected on the left, the battery will never charge. In this case you will either be running the entire car off of the battery and never charging, or running the car off the alternator and never charging the battery.

Jafo

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow

C7zz-F. ..oh man!!!! Thanks so much ..I jumped the "a" and "f" wires on the VR and the voltmeter jumped to 14 on the battery!!!!!! But now what do I do..I just put an new VR in from autozone???? I'm almost there..

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Looking at this pic supplied, from right to left.
Starter cable
Brown I wire
Red/blue S wire
Black/yellow + lead
Black/red charge lead
(Missing is the + batt cable)

You need to redo the wiring on the sol, or your never going to get it to charge and keep from draining the Batt.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks pabear.. I switched the sides and the battery still reads just over 12.. I jumpsed the. "A" and "f" at the VR and it does jump to 15 .but I just replaced the regulator 2 days ago...duralast from autozone

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings,

Please excuse me for jumping in here. Jumping the "A" and "F" terminals confirms that your alternator has the ability to charge. Your regulator is new so is probably good. One test you have not done is to confirm your regulator is in fact being turned on.

First, disconnect the regulator. Turn on the ignition switch. Do not start engine. Then probe the "I" or "S" terminal, whichever one has the light green with red wire, on the regulator harness connector with a voltmeter. You should see battery voltage. If not, repair wiring between ignition switch and regulator connector. If battery voltage is present, turn off ignition switch; then check resistance between regulator body and a good ground. If more than 0.5 ohms, check mounting screws for good connection. If these two conditions are satisfied, replace voltage regulator.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts