Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new (to me!) '67 for its first plated drive yesterday and really started to notice the slop in the steering, about 3-4 inches. After reading around a while I checked her out and it sure seems to me like it’s the steering box that's bad. Very minimal movement at the pitman arm while rocking the steering wheel back and forth over the 3-4 inches of slop.

It also looks like I have the long shaft variant of the '67 manual steering box. Reading around some more, I'm getting mixed feelings about replacing / rebuilding what’s currently there. Mostly due to the safety aspect. I can’t find many recent discussion on this, and am just looking for current thoughts. Rebuild / replace with stock long shaft? Modify to later ’67-68 short shaft? Upgrade to rack and pinion? I don’t have an issue the manual steering or the feel of the box in general, so I’m really not super biased either way. Just can’t deal with this much play in the wheel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the steering box?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,276 Posts
Get a hold of @CHOCK he will get you steered in the right direction. I would never recommend adjusting anything without proper knowledge of what you're doing.

Reactions: Woodchuck and CHOCK

·
Registered
1967 Mustang
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not attempt adjustment yet. Did read about it a bit and it didn't seem to be a long term fix given this much play. I sent Chock an email earlier as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just finished the replacement of all front end parts except the springs in my 67 vert . Among the replaced parts was the install of a rack& pinion along with a tilt column & epas from a prius. ..... Non of the replacement parts are oem & my car drives way better than I had hoped as it had that road wander in it . Found most rubber parts to be shot when I pulled them off. For me it was about improving the driveing & handleing of my car as it is only a driver not a show or race car & I hope to have a long relationship with it.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
I took my new (to me!) '67 for its first plated drive yesterday and really started to notice the slop in the steering, about 3-4 inches. After reading around a while I checked her out and it sure seems to me like it’s the steering box that's bad. Very minimal movement at the pitman arm while rocking the steering wheel back and forth over the 3-4 inches of slop.

It also looks like I have the long shaft variant of the '67 manual steering box. Reading around some more, I'm getting mixed feelings about replacing / rebuilding what’s currently there. Mostly due to the safety aspect. I can’t find many recent discussion on this, and am just looking for current thoughts. Rebuild / replace with stock long shaft? Modify to later ’67-68 short shaft? Upgrade to rack and pinion? I don’t have an issue the manual steering or the feel of the box in general, so I’m really not super biased either way. Just can’t deal with this much play in the wheel.

Thanks!
3-4 inches? That's all?
When we were still servicing vehicles we had a guy come in off the freeway one day, sitting on a milk crate, no windshield and about 3/4 turn at the steering wheel worth of play.....
What a moron. And he had basically no brakes, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I'd fix what you have if it's rebuildable. Talk to Chock. I know you are.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1967 Mustang
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna try to pull it and send it out to Chock as soon as I get a chance. No lift here, hopefully I can get it out without pulling the motor.

GT289, that's hilarious man! Sounds like a fun car!

·
Registered
1967 Mustang
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick update on this. I tried my hand at the adjustment per the manual, no improvement that I could notice. While removing the pitman arm I also noticed much grease from inside the box all over the arm. Started disassembly last night for a visit to Chock for the rebuild. Seems I lost my steering wheel puller, so i'll pick up a new one today and hopefully complete removal tonight.

·
Super Moderator
10,023 Posts
Dan has a very loyal following here, he's well respected.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Dan has a very loyal following here, he's well respected.
Israel, Carol and I may be old, cranky at times, argue, fuss, bitch (as old people do) but certainly still enjoy fiddling with these old Ford steering parts, and helping others, till we can't do it anymore. Thanks for comment.

·
Super Moderator
10,023 Posts
Israel, Carol and I may be old, cranky at times, argue, fuss, bitch (as old people do) but certainly still enjoy fiddling with these old Ford steering parts, and helping others, till we can't do it anymore. Thanks for comment.
Your reputation is well earned Dan.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SOS! I'm working on getting the column off and she's stuck tight. Followed the manual and every post I could find says it just slides right off... Either I missed something or ? Anybody have to deal with this situation?

Pulled wheel
Removed bearing clip
Unbolted from dash
Unbolted the weather seal at the firewall.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
SOS! I'm working on getting the column off and she's stuck tight. Followed the manual and every post I could find says it just slides right off... Either I missed something or ? Anybody have to deal with this situation?

Pulled wheel
Removed bearing clip
Unbolted from dash
Unbolted the weather seal at the firewall.

Thanks!
Can you rotate it.

Reactions: cjohnso0

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Yes--Both feet on the floor, pull hard and twist, a advantage have someone place a screwdriver between steering box and column and ply.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Initially no, but after your posts I had a can of spinach and was able to free it by twisting. Worked like a charm! Thanks! Now for the box

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Great, it’s amazing how some old dried out seals can glue parts together.

Reactions: CHOCK

·
Registered
1967 Mustang
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just want to tie this thread up for any future readers:

I sent my steering gear off to Chock for a rebuild about two weeks ago. They had it done within 2 days of reciept and back in the mail to me! I reinstalled over the last two days, along with doing the Shelby / Arning drop while she was up on the stands. What a difference! I can drive the car in a straight line now! Definitely recommend if your box is on the fritz.

I did have to jack up the engine to make enough room to pull the steering box through the engine bay, I did not pull the valve covers. Another issue I had was re-attaching the column to the dash. Not sure if they are all like mine, but there were studs threaded into the nuts in the dash. These of course pulled out when I removed the column and I had to fish out the nuts to gain access to them again. I had to do this a few times (grrr) because I apparently didn't seat the column all the way down. I recommend temporarily attaching the steering wheel before mounting to ensure it's seated.

Thanks to Dan and Carol over at Chockostang!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts