Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone repainted their styled steel wheels? I bought the correct charcoal color. Just wondered if I need to primer? Do they look okay or should I just buy repo's?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yup. Had my '66 wheels rechromed and the idiots also did the rim. So, we repainted not only the centers in argent, but the black for the rest. It's a PITA and very time-consuming, but if you want to keep your originals it's the only way. The surface prep and taping is critical...especially if you are spraying over chrome.

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
I've repainted the wheelcovers on my coupe several times. You don't need primer, but you do need to spend a lot of time taping. It's easiest to tape and then trim the tape away as needed.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
If you're using lacquer to paint the wheels(style steel gray paint is lacquer) you DO need primer on a hard surface. Sand the area as best you can, a light coat of a gray self-etch primer, like Sems brand #3963 and then the paint. Lacquer does not adhere well on bare steel or an unsanded surface. The self-etch primer is also lacquer based, judging by smell. Have done several sets over the past 20 years and the process lasts. Using a coarse Scotchbrite will do it or 280-320 wet or dry paper

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
I was painting over the existing paint after scuffing it. There really wasn't any bare metal other than light scratches and I didn't need primer in my case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts