Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title says i have a65 with the 69/70 tank.. will a 67 tank armour cover work with the 69/70 tank? GOOD PRICE FOR BOTH. I already have 69/70 tank dont need but do not want to miss out on armour Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,231 Posts
The factory '67 tank was still the 16 gallon tank with the low top. You'll probably need to get a tank armor for a '69/'70 if you insist on having one.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Do you really drive it enough to worry? I'd be concerned about adding an un-engineered piece of structural metal near a gas tank that you have no idea what it will do in a crash. I have never seen a burned mustang in a junkyard, nor have met anyone that has. I have seen many 64-66 mustangs with severe rear end damage and NO gas leaks. I have 430,000 miles that I've put on my 64, put in the 22 gal tank in 1992 (bought the car in 1990) and am not concerned about a fire. When the cars were common, there were still extremely few fires- ALL over 60 mph- and with less on the road and the cars a lot more visible, there's a good safety factor right there.

Reactions: kenash

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I agree I don’t think 67 will work for the reasons stated in post #2.

I will say I love my tank armor. For multiple reasons. Sheer strength, trunk protection from above and lastly accident protection. Also adds a little weight above the rear wheels.

Had mine painted when I painted my car and it looks great.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.. i did not think it would work but had to ask;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Would think you need to get the TA made for the ’70 tank which is 22 gallons

1 - 6 of 6 Posts