Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an online article at Mustang and Fords on a upgrade of 67 and earlier Mustang Steering to the 68 and up safety collapsible. Next to roasting alive with a rear end crash (I installed a Fuel Cell) I am rather concerned about being impaled with the solid steering shaft and support tube. (Perhaps a telescopic shaft spliced in) I would like to remedy this while my dash is all apart but obviously really would like to keep the original tilt feature although the swing away part is not something I must have. Anyone had any experience they can help me with? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm in the process of installing a '68 non-tilt column into my '67. I'm using the manual gear box (16:1) that came with the '68 column. You will need the '68 steering column bracket (different than '67). Other than the install, it went smoothly, the wiring is a small pain.

The '67 steering column connector at the main harness is rectanglar and the '68 is like a quarter moon connector. So I thought, I'll get another connector from a junk '67 steering column and switch out the wires. It would have worked except the '68 steering column wiring at the connector are male connectors and the '67 main harness for the steering column are male connectors. They don't mate up!

My solution was to remove the wires from the '68 steering column, sodered the wires from the '67 connector to the ends of the '68 wires and heat shrinked wrapped them. Now I can plug and unplug the connectors! :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Bob,

It took me a second to get that joke, but now I can't stop laughing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts