Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the transmission tag from a 67 coupe we're just starting to restore. The tag reads: PEE C X. 7E1. B3. I know it's a C4, but what's the rest of the tag mean? The car has the original engine, tranny and rear end. The car was my wife's grandfather's. The rear end tag should be on the car too, just haven't looked. No work was ever done to the rear end. The engine has been rebuilt several years ago and unfortunately, the engine tag must have been pitched. Isn't the engine tag usually on the front of the block on the driver's side? Thanks for the assistance!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh thanks! There's a different intake on the engine now, but we do still have the original intake. With any luck...the tag is still with the intake. Doubtful, bit worth a shot!

·
Registered
330 Posts
According to Kevin Marti's Tagbook "PEE-C" is a 1967 C4. The bottom line contained the engineering number of the tag and a date code. "7E1" could be May 1, 1967.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, you're right, doesn't quite match up. Seems correct that the build date is May 1, 1967 based on the 7E1. The PEE C tells me a 1967 289 w/ a C4 transmission. Wonder what the X and the B3 mean??

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
From the tag chart, B3 is the shift. This is so they can track issues if they arise. The 'X' is most likely the plant that assembled the transmission. There may have been more than one (most likely) and they would need to differentiate builds between them again for issue tracking and also for inventory purposes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you ylexot! The X and the B3 makes sense, if there was an issue with tranny's, Ford could track back to the plant designated as X and then to the shift which is the B3. B3 might indicate a midnight shift. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts