Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Horrible subject title, I know, but I can't think of what to call this...

Below is a pic of the right side of the trunk--there was some black, rubbery filler in the seam between the two pieces of metal. It was old and worn so I scraped it out.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/4142/11535/214568.jpg

Question: was this some gunk the PO put in or was it some original (or replacement) "stuff" that should be there? What was it? There's more on the left side.

On another note--I just replaced the right front apron and battery tray in my coupe. What a relief, and was a good moderate job to tackle...like others on this board, I now somewhat loathe the tack welds between the panels but got everything done well. Panel came from NPD (not the Canadian metal) and I'm happy with it. :p

Dan

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
That is original seam sealer. It's there to keep water at. Anywhere where 2 panels meet and there's any chances of water, put that in there. It's essentially just like caulk. You can get it at any body shop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, acooljt, good to know...I think I'll scrape some more out, treat for rust if it's not too back (I can already hear giggling on this board), and re-caulk. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts