Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears I may have an old mix-and-match of doors on a '68 I just bought. One door has the armrest screwed directly to the base metal, one has rectangular holes with metal captive nut type clips that angle out from the door a bit.

I think the former is '67 and the latter '68.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Yeah, and if you try to use a 67 door on a 68 deluxe interior car, the rear screw for the arm rest goes into thin air.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
It appears I may have an old mix-and-match of doors on a '68 I just bought. One door has the armrest screwed directly to the base metal, one has rectangular holes with metal captive nut type clips that angle out from the door a bit.

I think the former is '67 and the latter '68.
To answer your question. My 68 vert is a Feb, Dearborn car. The doors and armrests are original. There are rectangular punched holes with steel clips in the doors that the armrest attaching srews go into.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I think it relates to the armrest mounts being in a different place for the '68 in comparison to '67. Found a drawing that shows '67 using similar clips, but obviously in a different location....

And the fact I want to convert it to a '68 deluxe now makes it kinda clear that I need to source a '68 shell.... bummer... Its a nice straight/clean shell.. may have to look at some metalwork from my shop... may be cheaper than sourcing a new door...

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Yeah, and if you try to use a 67 door on a 68 deluxe interior car, the rear screw for the arm rest goes into thin air.
Believe that the "thin air" deal applies to the door pull that 68 deluxe interior cars have. A special piece was made for that use. Lost one and easily fabbed another. Armrest mounts are different and the easy route is what dalorzo mentioned. Have deluxe interior in a car that came with standard interior.
If a door is rustfree would keep it. Unless the judges call for a door panel removal to judge whether you have correct year!!!! LOL!! OH dear!! Forgot!! Have 68 standard armrests on rather than the deluxe ones. Like the standard ones better. Oh well!

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
The large lower-rear hole in the door was shaped differently in 68. Just cut the changed part of that hole from your dead 68 door and weld or rivet the piece into your solid 67 door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts