Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently learned that I will have to change my 67 brake/clutch mounting bracket to fit the 68 collapsible steering column / PS box I bought.

I looked in NPD and they don’t differentiate between 67 & 68 nor manual or automatic transmission.

My car is a 67 Fastback, 289, 3 speed, manual brakes & Steering. I am adding power steering from a 68 GT with 2 piece steering box/column vs. the 67 one piece.
I learned the 67 uses the same bracket for either transmission but if I buy a 68 bracket, will my existing clutch/brake pedals fit or is the shaft longer (so the larger column fits)?

I have a source on a 68 Cougar bracket but the owner doesn’t know if it is the same for the Mustang or if my pedals would fit as he only has automatic setups.

Please help me understand what will work so I don’t buy something I can’t use.

I just bought/installed a good used 67 pedal mount as mine was worn, only to learn two days later it won’t fit the 68 steering column!

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
you have to change pedals not bracket...pedals 0n 68 have more offset to clear 68 column Gary

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH! That makes sense!

Both or just the clutch?

Thank you for clearing up my confusion! Make a lot of sense now.

Thanks again!

Now to find where I can get them!

Joe

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if someone previously swapped them or what but my early 67 mustang (Built in Jan 67) has the knoched type pedals that clear the 68 steering column with no problem!

After all my set-backs, this was pleasent news!

Tonight, I will buy another PS setup as my first auction purchase is just about un-rebuildable and the pump is still missing in the mail! Thats how it goes sometimes!
Life is full of ups and downs.

Thanks for all your replies!

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts