Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...my buddy has a 67 XR7 cougar w\a 390 and C6 tranny...due to a recent cougar related thread...it made me think a little...if i can get it cheap for about...2-3k...and since its in pretty damn good condition for the interior and body, and original engine and tranny...#s match up and all...should i get it? id only get it to then sell it for a profit for my stang/school... id sell it maybe for about...8-9k...i know theyd go HIGHER...but id do it to sell it quick and not be EXTREMELY gready lol...its all original, i gotta verify the engine to make sure thats about it..engine is rebuilt..new cam, and dual exhaust w\flows...sounds nice...no rust...original CA car...should i bother to attempt? ::

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Even though Cougars are nice! (I currently own 3) and have sold a couple others, they won't bring as much money as a mustang, unless it is a fairly rare car, or you just happen to find that one person who is looking exactly for what you have, and money is not a issue.

Take a look on ehay as the highest priced one is at $7900 with an original 26,000 miles on it, and the next one to it is an XR7 going for $5700

It would be a nice to car to own, especially if it's in nice shape and you can get it for that price, and you might be able to even make a few bucks on it, but I think $8k to $9k is a little on the high side for a driver. NADA says my 1970 XR7 Convertible is worth over $20k in restored condition, but I am unlikely ever to see that, and probably realistically closer to $12k if I was to try and sell in that condition right now.

Anyway, just my thoughts!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
As Whizco noted, prices on Cougars are soft. I got my extremely well-optioned J-code driver for $5500 and most people who look at it casually don't know it hasn't been restored. (Once I point out all the flaws they have no trouble seeing them, though).

If the car is an X- or S-code and the motor is original to the car, that will make it a bit more valuable. But most of the value of the car will depend on it's overall condition. 67-68 Cougars are expensive to restore because little to none of the sheet metal is reproduced and very few of the Cougar-specific interior parts are reproduced. That has kept the value of Cougars down, IMHO.

The higher prices I've seen quoted tend to be finished cars that have been restored to strong #2 or weak #1 condition. You'll need to judge where your friends car matches up and assess the value from there.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he's not a close friend or anything like that by far, he's really an aquaintance, i dont hang out w\him or talk to him alot or anything lol pretty much just someone i know, and i was going to buy it for myself early on...but then i found a 66FB lol...shoulda got the cougar lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts