Vintage Mustang Forums banner

67Cougar 4.6 dohc restomod

8K views 46 replies 7 participants last post by  aerojoe91 
#1 ·
Allright, here goes. First of all, I want to say what a great resource the VMF is, and seems to be a really fun community that I'm glad to be a part of. I have learned a lot reading through old threads, etc. Thanks in advance to all of the help and support!

I had a '67 Cougar XR7 in college, 289ci, 2bbl, C4. I got married, had kids, sold the Cougar and drove a '88 Nissan Sentra. Fast forward 25'ish years and bought a '67 Cougar base 390 locally. A family friend bought a place 10 min away with a 25' x 40' barn and was kind enough to share. We bought a big compressor and some toolboxes, ran air lines, and 2.5 yr later I am making progress.

I'll start with some pics of when I got it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I love the Old Cats. All the work for the SOHC small displacement engine that is so wide is more than I would wanna do when I could build and hide a wicked stroker between those sexy towers. Always wanted a black 67 or 68... Have fun ! !

Reactions: Grimbrand
#4 ·
I bought a Hobart 140 on the recommendation of a friend at work and went to work. I started on the rear floor, then the fronts, and added the torque box on the RH side. Installed the NPD 'vert style seat pan, which may be a PITA later.

Attachments

#8 ·
Just like with installing a Coyote, you will need to eliminate the shock towers. I put a 4.6L DOHC into a Factory Five Cobra replica. It just barely fit, but I loved the way that engine reved. Look carefully at the available Coyote swap components, see if you can find one that will accept the larger Mustang Cobra brakes. The beauty of the Factory Five was that the kit was designed to use most of the drivetrain components.

Hopefully you got the computer, harness, tank, and other electronic modules with it. Having all the parts from one donor will make the installation much easier. That said, you will still need a programmer to remove the PATS.

Another resource for transplanting the 4.6 is the FFcars.com forum. Many people used these engines before the Coyote became available.

#13 ·
9" rear rebuild, kept 28 spline axles, tru-trac with 3.73 gears. My first rear end setup, was pretty cool. I watched some you-tube & bought a book, it went better than I thought. I guess I'll find out how well it really went once it's moving under it's own power.

Attachments

#15 ·
Been a while... lots of busy weekends. Looking for a new house, looking to downsize. Put an offer on a new place with a 3 car age plus a 30 x 40 shop! Just gotta sell this house... really not much fun.

brake master cylinder is kind of tight to the motor, but i have about an inch clearance. I used the copper-nickel line, was real easy to form & flare. I'm using rivnuts and cushioned p-clamps to support the lines.

Attachments

#19 ·
Something to consider would be to update your engine to the coil on plug setup of the later DOHC engine. Since you do not have the computer, maybe buying one for the later 2003-2004 engines would be an option. On one of the factory five forums, a guy did this for his Cobra. My 4.6L DOHC was from a 2004 Mach 1 with COP, so I had this out of the gate. The COP would not add much in HP, but it sure cleans up the engine.

#21 ·
Should be an amazing ride when( notice I did not say if) you're finished. After putting a 5.4 DOHC & 6r80 into my 97 f150 that people said fit but it took a lot of doing cause it was not as easy as they said I can only imagine your install but from your pictures looks like you have came a long ways . Just remember it's always easy to follow others down that well traveled path of could or should have did it this way.

#22 ·
Shop is about done, now I'm close to getting back to the Cougar.

Framed a game room in the back, and a small bathroom. I insulated the rooms with fiberglass batts, then 1" of spray foam on the rest. Game room has a mini-split AC, but I'm not planning on any other AC.

Floor is the Hellfire coating with the clearcoat; it went on pretty well and looks good. It's been really durable so far. The only issue that I was unaware of was sun exposure: the clearcoat has flaked off on the small bit of floor just outside the roll up doors that is exposed. Not a big deal, but would have done it different had I known. It will still do its job.

The lift is a Forward I-10, just put it in a couple weeks ago. Was not bad to install, once I used my neighbor's big-ass hammer drill. It went together pretty smooth.

Picture frame Furniture Building Table Billiard table
Tire Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel
Tap Plumbing fixture Bathroom sink Sink Property

#27 ·
While he did keep the shock towers, they are shaved to improve clearance. Gateway Classic Mustangs did one of the first Coyote swaps into a first gen, they did the same. Consider this a Boss 9 trick to shoe horn something too big into the engine bay. Plug access will be way better with the 4.6L with the plug access from the top of the valve covers.

Regarding the steering setup, have you had the engine with exhaust manifolds or headers in the car with the steering shaft in place. You will not know you have clearance until you have installed all the pieces. I found out with my Coyote swap I needed to add a intermediate bearing in order to clear one of my header pipes. Not a big deal, just more parts.