Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had overheaing issues in the past and discovered we needed a radiator with lotsa space inside to cool correctly. My radiator we found that worked is now showing signs of fins disintegrating. Need to replace but have no idea where I got the last one from. Can anyone comment on this issue of getting the correct core and also, what would you recommend row wise etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Assuming you currently have a stock, non-A/C radiator (20" I think), and if you're willing to go (somewhat) non-stock, you can get the 24" radiator used with big blocks or small blocks with A/C. You'll need different lower mounts (available at NPD) and maybe different hoses. I'll let others chime in on the copper/brass vs. aluminum radiators.

Harry Z

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a followup q: according to the temp dial on the dash (not a thermometer) just a general idea im looking for, driving on the highway, for 50 miles, at 65 mph, where would the needle sit on a healthy car? just lookin for an idea here...thanks

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
i bought the mid range 3 row 24” from NPD when I added A/C to my 68 289. It’s worked really well so far. Only with A/C running while driving in a parade in high heat has it come close to overheating.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
If you have a radiator shop around and that one was, at one time, working fine, you can ask about getting it recored. No sense trying to reinvent the wheel....

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
If you have a radiator shop around and that one was, at one time, working fine, you can ask about getting it recored. No sense trying to reinvent the wheel....
I tried that! It was significantly more expensive than buying new. If you need to save that concours date coded radiator I would do it, but not for a driver.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
On my 66, I stayed period correct and went with a US Radiator copper/brass old school style. They have several choices to choose from. Different number of rows, different style of cooling fins (60's style and 89's style), and differsnt material. Yes, they cost a little more, but so far so good with mine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all! I guess Ill start looking for the largest 4 row aluminum one thatll fit in my car- PS- my 68 has the inlet n outlet on the same side. I want to get them at opposite corners (for a more efficient cooling) BUT the hoses will have to be reconfigured. Is this possible with the belts and ac compressor in there? Anyone done this? Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I replaced mine with a cold case aluminum from npd. Haven't been on the road with it yet, but seems to be fine so far with a 351w and thermal clutch fan. Only issue is it seems slightly taller, so the upper saddle mount is at a slight angle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts