Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found an original 302 Factory 4V motor out of a rusted out '68 fastback. It has never been gone through or rebuilt, and has the original Autolite 4300 carb. Engine ran when car was shut down a long time ago, and it still turns freely. Looks like it had some kind of pollution plumbing built into the heads. What's this motor worth in good rebuildable condition? Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all.

·
Registered
763 Posts
pm sent

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I believe that is worth of something since GTs had them and regular V8 had open chamber heads. So, they might be valuable for somebody doing a 68 GT resto. Whether GT-350 had different 4V than GT I don't know.

As a performance head it is as good (or bad) as any 289 head.

·
Premium Member
7,545 Posts
I appears you have a smog equipped 68 J code engine. Heads are unique, and COULD be worth a little something to the right person. I had a set of those heads some years ago, and they flowed terrible. The big cast bosses for the air injectors blocked the passages, and you could not open them up because they would cut directly into the injection ports. Finally sold them cheap.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Was it for an automatic or a manual? I would say the carb alone is worth $100-150 as-is. Distibutor $75-100. Rest of the block is worth maybe $150-200.

If it was for a manual, and has the thermactor set-up the whole thing may be worth more to somebody building a concours car. Anybody wanting any pep or performance will not value the heads, the emissions, or the carb. If it was for an automatic, it does not have the thermactor, but as mentioned above, still has the bosses for thermactor in the exhaust passages. These can be cut out, but the heads are generally not worth the effort to do so.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you take it to www.californiaspecial.com , you may find a buyer. Some of those guys really want a j-code to finish off their concours as long as it has the emissions stuff with it.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was a manual car; engine still has it's bellhousing, and front brackets. Car had factory AC. Thanks for all the ID help!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'd love it if my '68 was a J code! Of course up here it would be without the CA crap!
The '68 302 4V was kinda a one time thing prior to the Boss. Of course there was
the special order Trans Am high performance 302 but that doesn't count!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Someone will jump in and remind me of the '68 Shelby, I'm just a poor guy, that
doesn't count!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
351stang said:
This was a manual car; engine still has it's bellhousing, and front brackets. Car had factory AC. Thanks for all the ID help!
Sounds like a very nice core.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts