Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Looking fwd to seeing pics.
What is the color combo?

I have my have first Stang...a 68 GT 390 cpe.

Those Hagerty values crack me up. I think anyone would have a hard time finding a
67 or 68 GT 390 cpe that has sold for more than 35K.
I don't disagree, but their price "guide" is supposed to come from actual cars sold around the country as an average.
So I always look at any on line pricing just as a guide.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
The '68 390 four speed convertible project I did a few years ago came with the 8000 rpm tach. My understanding then and now is that in 1968 when a 390 was ordered with a 4 speed, it included the 8000 rpm tach.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
That tach business is just weird and has no rhyme or reason.
The cam that was in the 390 cars doesn't match the need for
an 8 grand tach.
I guess we'll chock it up to wishful thinking on Ford's part.
We had a saying about FE motors at JBA- "rev until window."
(referring to what happens to the block when you exceeded
common sense rpm)

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
That tach business is just weird and has no rhyme or reason.
The cam that was in the 390 cars doesn't match the need for
an 8 grand tach.
I guess we'll chock it up to wishful thinking on Ford's part.
We had a saying about FE motors at JBA- "rev until window."
(referring to what happens to the block when you exceeded
common sense rpm)
It may have been Ford's way of just simplifying assembly line costs. Just one tach to stock.
They did do several cost cutting things on the line in '68.

·
Registered
514 Posts
For the record: my '68 S-Code GT 4 speed FB (Marti verified) has a 6k tach. Judging from the wiring harness' condition it is original. The car was built 12/02/67 and does not have a clock or any interior options (except console).

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sounds like a great car that needs complete restoration. If I was in the market to buy a new project, I would be at about $18K for that car as is just because it is a great car and color combo to restore.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sounds like a great car that needs complete restoration. If I was in the market to buy a new project, I would be at about $18K for that car as is just because it is a great car and color combo to restore.
Well lennyB, It could be yours! Lol. I will say, my reserve is less than that.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
My first Mustang was a 68 FB 390 / 4-speed non-GT. It had a 8K tach. My current 67 "S" code / 4-speed FB non-GT came with a 6K tach.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Did you buy it to flip or were you thinking of restoring it and have since changed your mind? Seems like a really neat car that would be fairly easy to redo-all things considered! I would be very tempted to put all things back together, fix what was needed, and drive the heck out of it for a while before selling or doing the complete body and paint work. No, I'm not bidding on it, I have enough projects............

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I wouldn't say I bought it to flip it, I prefer to say I bought it to save it. Whether it is me restoring it or someone else. I bought it knowing one of my cars would have to go, it just turns out it is this one. I would prefer to sell my wifes '67 fastback (she never drives it), but she says no way. No biggie to me if it doesn't sell, at least I can say I tried, lol!

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Wish I didn't have too many projects already! Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
34,228 Posts
The cam in an S code signs off well before you would need an 8 grand tach.
Ford made a habit of going way over with tachs. 6 cylinder cars had 6000 tachs, and of course no chance of getting to that redline.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well, you guys did a pretty good job on guessing the value. It sold for 15.2k. I really didn't expect it to go that high and set my reserve just under that. Wasn't too worried about it if it didn't sell, I would have just kept it, only had about 1/3 of that in it. It seems to be in good hands, guy from Alabama bought it and is known for his FE engine builds.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts