Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
That's pretty rare. $165K is a lot of coin....... and not meet reserve. Makes you wonder if the seller really wanted to sell.

Reactions: hotrodfords

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Nice car, but 50k would buy a super nice 351 Cougar or a 302 2+2.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, a lot of coin. A friend of mine who is into Cougars said they only built 4 4sp CJ cars.

·
I won a special award
8,129 Posts
Back in the mid 80's I used to drive past a GTE Cougar that sat on the street in a rough part of town. Unfortunately this was pre-internet days and I didn't understand the signifigance of the Cougar. I wish I'd left a note about buying the car. But then again I passed on the chance to buy a decent running and driving 1969 CJ Cougar around 1990 for $2,100. Arrgggghhhh

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Yup. Took a pass on a super clean black '66 Fairlane GT 390 at a Ford dealer in Boulder back in the early 80's. Think they wanted $2200 or so.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I think I remember seeing a red one with a 427 sell at auction for more than $165k a few years back. Can't quite remember the price though.

I almost bought a 1967 Cougar as my first car. I was 15 and they guy was selling a super nice, unrestored white car with 289 for $2500. We left a deposit but he called and said he was ripping up the check. I was depressed for a month.

Reactions: hotrodfords

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A GTE without the 427 is not as desirable. I'm surprised it bid that high..
...because it’s a 4sp and an unmolested survivor. And I’m sure you know all W cars were autos.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Ooooo, a double R code!
I believe the 55K miles. One of those cases where being a northern, snow bound car helped preserve it.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Great car and a great color combination. If I had the money I'd buy a Shelby, but if I already had a Shelby and still money left I would consider it :)

It's a pity the of the different parts of the front ends of these car always fit so poorly. Especially the grill and headlight covers, but the hood too. This one is not too bad but still rather crooked.

It's hard to argue with a 427, but the W codes in the Cougar were a bit watered down, with a 390 carb, cam and exhaust manifolds, so they were not quite like the earlier 427s. The 428 was probably a little more powerful and this one has a four speed too. Not that a few horsepower more or less matters that much in a car like this Cougar though.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
No stock Cougar is going to really be that fast. But either the 427 or 428 has a wow factor, especially with a 4speed. It's just cool.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Saw this yesterday at a local car show, a GTE car came from the west coast owner was telling me, my brother has an all original S code 4 speed AC car non XR7 same color as this one

Attachments

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
A friend has his mom's daily driver W-code 427 GTE. His dad was a mechanic at a Ford dealer and it was traded in a on a Boss 302.

·
Registered
1966 289 2V Coupe FMX Transmission 9-inch Axle
184 Posts
Nice car but not $164,000 car to me. I had a '67 289 3 speed, yellow with black vinyl top and brown interior in high school and college. Sold it in '78 and bought a Toyota Celica. Would be nice to have it now. I do have it's 289 in a '66 mustang I have now, so I do still have part of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts