Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 air cleaner snout that I'm told is a cougar application but wonder if it would also be Mustang if it didn't have the "W" in part number.
C8WF-9A626-A It has a small bend in it to clear something.Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
A 68 Mustang air clean snout should have a sharp "zig-zag" bend right as it comes out of the air cleaner. And (this is MOST important) the zig-zag should move the end of the snout towards the REAR of the car.

If it moves it towards the front of the car you have a passenger car 390 snout which isn't worth much.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I disagree with the passenger car 390 snout not being worth much. It is fairly easy to take the the bend off of the snorkel by drilling out the three spot welds and then flipping it over and welding it back on and adding the spot weld dimples. What you then have is a snorkel that looks a LOT like a Boss 302 snorkel and they bring over $200 pretty easy. Even if you don't flip it over, they still bring food $$ from people who know they can be flipped over.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
dustyrelics said:
I disagree with the passenger car 390 snout not being worth much. It is fairly easy to take the the bend off of the snorkel by drilling out the three spot welds and then flipping it over and welding it back on and adding the spot weld dimples. What you then have is a snorkel that looks a LOT like a Boss 302 snorkel and they bring over $200 pretty easy. Even if you don't flip it over, they still bring food $$ from people who know they can be flipped over.
Actually it looks like a CJ snout (although it angles up instead of down).

The Boss 302 and 1968 Mustang 390 snout had a sharper, shorter bend in it.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Correct '68 390GT is the shorter one.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Jim you might want to post a picture of your snorkel so that we can see what you have and then compare it to "known" 68 390 snorkels

Just a thought ;)

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Have a link? I'd like to watch it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts