Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound strange so stay with me. My plans for the summer were to add some hot sauce to my 1968 coupe 289 this summer, after years of neglect thanks to highier education. Well my folks offered my thier 1993 Ford E-450 RV to put on a hunting lease, well I got to thinking that the 7.0L V8 and tranny in the RV were over hauled last summer and if I took it to these lease all that work would wither away in West Texas. The motor is very strong and I am thinking about dropping it in my mustang. My questions are......

1) Anyone have anyspecs on this motor and drivetrain?

2) How impossible is this?

3) How possilble is this?

4) How awesome is this?

Feel free to answer any of the questions.

Also, I know I will need to make some custom mounts, stiffen up the suspension, connect the unibody, have a nightmare of electrical work to do, and am I missing anything?

WHOOP!

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
The 460 will bolt into any 67-73 Mustang without modifications to the car itself. You have to get the swap motor mounts and other items. My guess is the transmission is one of the electronic variants. Not sure about the fit. You'd have to fabricate up a shift linkage any transmission mount. It's doable, but a lot of work and fabrication.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually have access to a machine shop with lots of goodies. That is one of the reasons I am excited about this.

Does someone make the motor mounts? If so who?

What shoud I do about my stock 8" rear end? Keep it or get a 9"? Not sure whats in the RV, but I will check soon. I was thinking about using the one from the RV and having the driveshaft professioanlly cut and re welded to length.

·
Registered
42 Posts
maxum, not trying to question you or challange you on your knowledge or anything, but i thought that the 7.0 liter was the 427 or 428, not the 460 (7.5 liter). i was just trying to clarify for the OP just incase a 427 or 428 wont fit but the 460 will.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Clarify which 7.0 427, 428, and 429 all come up as 7.0. If it is the 429/460 variant, i'm in the process of doing this swap now with a 521 stroker. Like mentioned Crites Restoration and MPG heads both make swap kits that are very different. MPG kit is low and more forward than the crites kit. Causes clearance issues for running a puller fan (I'M working through this now). but you can run a domintor on a Victor intake and close the hood. All sorts of little things to 'overcome' on this swap but possible as long as your patient and can fabricate a little bit. I used an RRS strut conversion which allwed me to trim the snot out of the shock towers but you can trim the stock set-up and give yourself a little more room. not absoultely necessary but makes life easier down the road.

Bill

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's EFI. I dont plan on converting to a carb unless there is GOOD reason to do so. I think I might add a turbo down the line pending clearance issues, maybe.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to add room to the eng comp. I will look into the struts.

I think I might use the superduty rear from the RV which means inneed new gears and narrow the axel. Does not sound like fun but I'm on a super tight budget.

If anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them. I'm gonna sell the 289 and C4 for some extra cash.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I would do away with the shock towers and install Rod & Custom coilover front suspension.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats way out of my budget for now. Down the road I will def do something like that.

I am bringing my stang out of the barn in a couple of weeks, and soon after I'll pull the motor from the RV. Ill post pics on this thread or a new one once I get going.

·
Registered
57 Posts
you can trim the shock towers a bit while still retaining the original front suspension. that will give you additional access to spark plugs etc I'd try and find a crites generation 2 swap kit on the market somewhere. I've heard ordering a new one is cumbersome and takes forever.

This isn't a simple bolt in swap, it has some challenges to overcome. That's the reason you don't see them that often...at least compared to stroker small block swaps. For me that was part of the allure...it's different. 'Budget' and 'fuel injected big block swap' may be at odds with one another. I have a bunch tied up into mine and my junk doesn't run yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
another note....that rea end is probably a sterling 10.25 inch rear. great for heavy duty trucks not not so desireable for a passenger car. I have a versailles 9' in mine. back braced, detroit locker disc brakes, 5/8" studs etc. Hell if you're on a budget run it with the 8". Just don't put sticky tires on it. That late model 429 with the fuelie heads on it doesn't make that much power especially if its been beat on in an RV

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a 1970 429 in my 67. I used Crites motor mounts. I have a Performer 460 intake and a 770 Holley and still had hood clearance issues. I also have a Versailles 9" rear but as was said the 8" will hold up if you don't have sticky tires. I have FPA headers now but originally used Tubular Automotive headers. They were a PIA. I have not modified my shock towers or car at all to make it fit. The FPA will allow you to keep the PS and clear the trans. If you have the OD trans on the motorhome, I have been told it is huge and won't fit in a Mustang without major mods to the trans tunnel. I have a C6 in mine. I did this swap back in the 90's and have logged a lot of trouble free miles. I do have an export brace and subframe connectors but other than that it's unmodified unibody. I did weld up the shock tower seams and add bracing like the Boss 302's in 2007. I don't know about the EFI conversion but a mild BBF is a lot of fun. GOBS and GOBS of torque! I think you will enjoy the conversion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts