Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All;

I have a 68 coupe I bought over 9 years ago, and have been trying to bring it back since then. Life happens, don't buy a car right before you go to law school and then join the Army. Anyway; I have FINALLY gotten the structural parts of my car done, and while its getting set to get primed in the next few weeks, I am planning out a "simple", yet comprehensive build and could really use some people's guidance and input. The car is a T code vin, and is an actually running and driving i6, 3 speed, 4 wheel drum, manual everything car.

Goals: Fuel injected v8, modern suspension, Power 4 disc ABS brakes, manual overdrive transmission, power steering (pref rack and pinion), . Before June 1.

About me: I race and instruct HPDE, and do about 20-30 days on track or more each year. I'm not pro mechanic, but I do ok. Uncle Sam has me going to a sandy place after my deadline, for an extended period of time, and my Goal is to actually enjoy the car / get it on the street before its done. However, I've decided to take most of April and May off, and enjoy life before that June 1 deadline, so I'm trying to get this done as efficiently (I'm not cheap, I'm frugal, there is value to doing it right the first time, but things still have to get done).

So here is my plan...:
(Abbreviated version: 94 GT donor car, AJE stuff, use sn95 5.0, brakes, suspension setup, abs, rear end, go time).

Engine:
Before the flame war starts, the car will eventually be LS swapped. Deal with it. I have some sitting in my garage and I am familiar with them. Ive had a few corvettes and other LS vehicles. But rest easy, its not happening right now, mostly because the transmission options wont fit my budget within the timeframe I want to get it done. However, some things are planned with this in mind.

So, for a lot of reasons I thought were wise, I went out and bought a 94 GT, 5 speed. Yes, windsor 5.0, efi that can be swapped over, a factory standalone ABS system, and another t5 (I have one from an 88 sitting in my garage as well). The goal is to just basically clean it up, change the fluids and plugs, and throw it in the new old car (the 68 coupe).

While putting a windsor 302 into a 68 is not rocket science and has been done 1000000 over, the questions arise from some different issue. The plan is to use an AJE k member and A arms. This will allow me room for the windsor, ls, ecoboost, coyote, whatever, motor down the line. Also, since the 94 GT engine is already a rear sump, it seems like it would be an easier drop in WITH the AJE K member that uses a rear sump (front steer) steering setup. Correct? While heads and cam and new timing chains and the like are all fantastic and "cheap" and this would be "the right time to do it" I'd rather spend the budget on this crunch to getting other projects in the car done, then going all out to "do it right" on this motor, which may not be long for this car. Its got 121k on the clock, no lights, and I've been doing some smokey burnouts with it the last few days. I had a 99 explorer from about 25k miles to 180k before a tree ended it, I know these things run forever. Motor itself, new gaskets from what I am taking off during removal and install, fluids, check hoses, and plugs. (New EFI ready fuel tank with baffles).

Questions:
1E: Obviously I don't need smog stuff. I can just plug the holes in the head and remove the smog pump and hoses etc? Does that throw the computer / efi off?
2E: General questions about bringing the efi over; I know there is a few writeups, I few of them I saw are about adding the factory efi setup to an older engine (like changing the oil pan, moving dipstick etc) whereas I'm starting with that and just dropping the whole thing in, so should be pretty forward?
3E: Headers; obviously they have sn95 headers on them right now, keeping them would be nice if I could, as thats just another one of those "everything on the car is just a small $200 part" pile ups. I will probably just have some friends run piping from the collectors to the back of the car for the time being. I've heard that foxbody headers fit, so curious if sn95 windsor stuff would. Its basically a roided out fox isn't it? (chassis wise)
4E: years ago I have an 89 HO that I got for this project, and some explorer intake manifolds, but after a few moves I started selling stuff as I was tired of lugging it around. I note that the sn95 has the curved throttle body manifold setup, and explorer and fox setup is straight. I know its down HP, doesn't concern me at this moment to spend the money on an intake manifold on this motor (at least not now). My concern is fitment, if that angle means any clearance issue with say the cross brace on the top or anything. I'd imagine I could just cut down the air intake piping if need be, and that shouldn't effect the maf calculation?
5E: What upgraded rads are super popular?

Steering:

My plan would be to use AJE front K member as noted. With the motor going in being a 94, with the rear sump pain and front steer setup, this should work well with that K member and setup. Now, with the AJE K member, I would be using sn95 spindles (solves the exciter ring problem for ABS), brakes, and suspension setup. Therefore I could use really any set of adjustable coilovers for an sn95 from my understanding. This also means I could use the power rack and pinion setup from an sn95. Since the donor car has all these things already on it, I could use the pump, plumbing, and rack (repaired and replaced) as necessary and off I go with power rack and pinion steering.

Questions:
1ST: Will the sn95 rack cause bumpsteer issues? Do people have a kit for it? I see a lot of people using the fox rack and pinion, and I'm not familiar with how big a difference there is on it.
2ST: What am I missing about using the AJE K member / A arms and sn95 steering setup? I know there is some coupler and bracketry that has to happen to connect it to the stock 68 column, but nothing overtly pops out about this being wrong?

Suspension:
With the AJE front K member, I can use the sn95 spindles, AJE A arms, and sn95 struts / shocks / coilovers. I would grab a set of street coilovers from any of the reputable sn95 sellers / brands (for front and rear, more on the rear later). With caster / camber plates and this setup, I should be able to get it dialed in to whatever plush or performance orientated I want. Remember, I have actual racecars I drive on track, and this car isn't going to be one of them, its a street car. The downside of that, is I still want it to be able to not feel like a boat or numb dumptruck going down the street, so something with some sort of handling prowess is the hope.

Questions:
1SU: Is it best to use SN95 or Fox stuff for this AJE application; someone had noted that the strut lenghts are slightly different, and that may effect the loading and positioning of them. I understand suspensions more than an amateur, but I am far from being a guru.

Brakes:
For the front, since I am going to be using SN95 Hubs / spindles, this will mean that sn95 brakes are the easy choice here. Since the 94/95 ABS system is a standalone, I figured I would port that over too (lots of info on this for doing it to fox and the factory five cars, similar idea here). This gives me disc up front, it solves my problem of an exciter ring in the front for ABS since retrofitting one isn't easy, and it also gives me the opportunity to run any brake caliper / setup I desire that can fit an sn95 and whatever wheel / tire / clearance combo I want. (Current plan: Stock gt calipers because I have them, fresh pads / rotors). Would also make hooking up the sensors and everything pretty easy. I should be able to add the ABS block and electronics. Preview: Ill be running the sn95 rear as well, so essentially bringing over the entire braking system, so it should be just plumbing and wiring it in the new (old 68) chassis.

Questions:
1B: What Mastercylinder and brake booster should I run? This seems like it can be allllll over the place. My initial thought and hope would be, "thats easy, use the sn95 brake booster and MC that is on the car that you are taking the entirety of the brake system from" but not everything always pans out that way. The 68 is currently manual brakes, so I am not sure if I have to change the pedal / rod or anything like that around, in order to accommodate 4 disc power brakes now. Any insight to this would be great.
2B: Proportioning valve: Since my plan is to use literally the entire brake setup from the 94 gt (master cylinder, all 4 calipers, and abs system) I wouldn't think the car needs a proportioning valve. Its not like there is a vast difference in the distribution of weight between the two cars that would require more bias than it is currently setup, right? Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
3B: E brake setup: the answer is out there, I know people have done it, I have to research it more: but how are you guys hooking up your ebrake to an 8.8 swap with rear discs. Should be fairly simple with a cable, yes?

Transmission:
T5 is going in. Lots of info on T5 swap and needed stuff, and with the windsor going in front of it, its currently not rocket science. I am aware that the 94/95 t5 has the extended bell and input shaft. I have an 88 t5, bell, and clutch kit (ill prob throw that out) also sitting in the garage. Take off sn95 bell / input shaft, install fox bell / input shaft on sn95 trans (because I know it works, verse the one sitting in my garage for years I've never actually used), and go. Bang, t5 swap. Clutch on the current donor car has 20k miles on it. Since I am taking the bell off, I'll peak at the friction disc. I see a clutch kit without the flywheel is "just another $200 item". If I can salvage what I have without imminent destruction, I'll send it. Again, not sure how long the t5 / 5.0 setup will be in there before a tko / LS setup is. Different story for different time though.

Questions:
1T: Fox T5 / 5.0 to Sn95 8.8 driveshaft length? Recommendation? Custom, or is there something out there that will fit as is? I'm just going to assume that the sn95 one won't work, because my luck doesn't work like that.

Rear:
Sn95 8.8. I know its the 28 spline, its ok. I know its a 3.07 lsd, its ok. One day ill switch over to the explorer rear end, but right now this one works and I can send it. I know its a little wider, I plan on using sn95 wheels anyway. The plan would be to use the AJE 4 link rear setup, so I don't have to worry about needing to setup leaf springs on it, and the suspension kit I would use for the front end would usually come with rears (or I get one with rears purposefully). With the 4 link, both the 4 link and rear end install seem to be pretty easy with their setup. And since the Sn95 is already setup for it, I believe the rear will be pretty accepting of it.

Wheels:
Sn95 17x7.5 or 8, whatever they are, crager looking wheels. Ill just use them until I find something "better" or I feel like changing wheels. From my understanding the sn95 wheels and the sn95 rear should fit ok, and the same in the front. If not, they will get sold and Ill find another set of wheels. My current ones wont work, as they are the 14" 4 lug.

Questions:
1W: Am I setting myself up for fitment issues?

In summary:
AJE Front / Rear setup, allows for usage of sn95 setup. Use 94 Gt 5.0 Motor, t5 Trans, power steering, power brakes, abs, efi, rear end, brakes. Source a driveshaft. Repair and replace as needed on items out of the donor car. Try to figure out A/C in the future because I sweat easy.

Does this plan look like I am missing something drastic? This would get the car from being the i6 3 speed, to a v8, disc conversion, with lots of modern goodies, in a really efficient way. I thought about this when I was looking at front disc swaps to match an explorer rear swap. Those swaps alone were close to the price of the k member and A arms. And I would still need 5 lug wheels, and change the steering out, suspension would still be from the 60s, etc. This seems like it clicks all my boxes at once, and does it nicely overlapping each other, and the donor car was a whopping $900. I will scrap and sell off items I don't need, its not in bad shape.

Please, tell me where I am wrong, or where I am crazy.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
113 Posts
Hey All;

I have a 68 coupe I bought over 9 years ago, and have been trying to bring it back since then. Life happens, don't buy a car right before you go to law school and then join the Army. Anyway; I have FINALLY gotten the structural parts of my car done, and while its getting set to get primed in the next few weeks, I am planning out a "simple", yet comprehensive build and could really use some people's guidance and input. The car is a T code vin, and is an actually running and driving i6, 3 speed, 4 wheel drum, manual everything car.

Goals: Fuel injected v8, modern suspension, Power 4 disc ABS brakes, manual overdrive transmission, power steering (pref rack and pinion), . Before June 1.

About me: I race and instruct HPDE, and do about 20-30 days on track or more each year. I'm not pro mechanic, but I do ok. Uncle Sam has me going to a sandy place after my deadline, for an extended period of time, and my Goal is to actually enjoy the car / get it on the street before its done. However, I've decided to take most of April and May off, and enjoy life before that June 1 deadline, so I'm trying to get this done as efficiently (I'm not cheap, I'm frugal, there is value to doing it right the first time, but things still have to get done).

So here is my plan...:
(Abbreviated version: 94 GT donor car, AJE stuff, use sn95 5.0, brakes, suspension setup, abs, rear end, go time).

Engine:
Before the flame war starts, the car will eventually be LS swapped. Deal with it. I have some sitting in my garage and I am familiar with them. Ive had a few corvettes and other LS vehicles. But rest easy, its not happening right now, mostly because the transmission options wont fit my budget within the timeframe I want to get it done. However, some things are planned with this in mind.

So, for a lot of reasons I thought were wise, I went out and bought a 94 GT, 5 speed. Yes, windsor 5.0, efi that can be swapped over, a factory standalone ABS system, and another t5 (I have one from an 88 sitting in my garage as well). The goal is to just basically clean it up, change the fluids and plugs, and throw it in the new old car (the 68 coupe).

While putting a windsor 302 into a 68 is not rocket science and has been done 1000000 over, the questions arise from some different issue. The plan is to use an AJE k member and A arms. This will allow me room for the windsor, ls, ecoboost, coyote, whatever, motor down the line. Also, since the 94 GT engine is already a rear sump, it seems like it would be an easier drop in WITH the AJE K member that uses a rear sump (front steer) steering setup. Correct? While heads and cam and new timing chains and the like are all fantastic and "cheap" and this would be "the right time to do it" I'd rather spend the budget on this crunch to getting other projects in the car done, then going all out to "do it right" on this motor, which may not be long for this car. Its got 121k on the clock, no lights, and I've been doing some smokey burnouts with it the last few days. I had a 99 explorer from about 25k miles to 180k before a tree ended it, I know these things run forever. Motor itself, new gaskets from what I am taking off during removal and install, fluids, check hoses, and plugs. (New EFI ready fuel tank with baffles).

Questions:
1E: Obviously I don't need smog stuff. I can just plug the holes in the head and remove the smog pump and hoses etc? Does that throw the computer / efi off?
2E: General questions about bringing the efi over; I know there is a few writeups, I few of them I saw are about adding the factory efi setup to an older engine (like changing the oil pan, moving dipstick etc) whereas I'm starting with that and just dropping the whole thing in, so should be pretty forward?
3E: Headers; obviously they have sn95 headers on them right now, keeping them would be nice if I could, as thats just another one of those "everything on the car is just a small $200 part" pile ups. I will probably just have some friends run piping from the collectors to the back of the car for the time being. I've heard that foxbody headers fit, so curious if sn95 windsor stuff would. Its basically a roided out fox isn't it? (chassis wise)
4E: years ago I have an 89 HO that I got for this project, and some explorer intake manifolds, but after a few moves I started selling stuff as I was tired of lugging it around. I note that the sn95 has the curved throttle body manifold setup, and explorer and fox setup is straight. I know its down HP, doesn't concern me at this moment to spend the money on an intake manifold on this motor (at least not now). My concern is fitment, if that angle means any clearance issue with say the cross brace on the top or anything. I'd imagine I could just cut down the air intake piping if need be, and that shouldn't effect the maf calculation?
5E: What upgraded rads are super popular?

Steering:

My plan would be to use AJE front K member as noted. With the motor going in being a 94, with the rear sump pain and front steer setup, this should work well with that K member and setup. Now, with the AJE K member, I would be using sn95 spindles (solves the exciter ring problem for ABS), brakes, and suspension setup. Therefore I could use really any set of adjustable coilovers for an sn95 from my understanding. This also means I could use the power rack and pinion setup from an sn95. Since the donor car has all these things already on it, I could use the pump, plumbing, and rack (repaired and replaced) as necessary and off I go with power rack and pinion steering.

Questions:
1ST: Will the sn95 rack cause bumpsteer issues? Do people have a kit for it? I see a lot of people using the fox rack and pinion, and I'm not familiar with how big a difference there is on it.
2ST: What am I missing about using the AJE K member / A arms and sn95 steering setup? I know there is some coupler and bracketry that has to happen to connect it to the stock 68 column, but nothing overtly pops out about this being wrong?

Suspension:
With the AJE front K member, I can use the sn95 spindles, AJE A arms, and sn95 struts / shocks / coilovers. I would grab a set of street coilovers from any of the reputable sn95 sellers / brands (for front and rear, more on the rear later). With caster / camber plates and this setup, I should be able to get it dialed in to whatever plush or performance orientated I want. Remember, I have actual racecars I drive on track, and this car isn't going to be one of them, its a street car. The downside of that, is I still want it to be able to not feel like a boat or numb dumptruck going down the street, so something with some sort of handling prowess is the hope.

Questions:
1SU: Is it best to use SN95 or Fox stuff for this AJE application; someone had noted that the strut lenghts are slightly different, and that may effect the loading and positioning of them. I understand suspensions more than an amateur, but I am far from being a guru.

Brakes:
For the front, since I am going to be using SN95 Hubs / spindles, this will mean that sn95 brakes are the easy choice here. Since the 94/95 ABS system is a standalone, I figured I would port that over too (lots of info on this for doing it to fox and the factory five cars, similar idea here). This gives me disc up front, it solves my problem of an exciter ring in the front for ABS since retrofitting one isn't easy, and it also gives me the opportunity to run any brake caliper / setup I desire that can fit an sn95 and whatever wheel / tire / clearance combo I want. (Current plan: Stock gt calipers because I have them, fresh pads / rotors). Would also make hooking up the sensors and everything pretty easy. I should be able to add the ABS block and electronics. Preview: Ill be running the sn95 rear as well, so essentially bringing over the entire braking system, so it should be just plumbing and wiring it in the new (old 68) chassis.

Questions:
1B: What Mastercylinder and brake booster should I run? This seems like it can be allllll over the place. My initial thought and hope would be, "thats easy, use the sn95 brake booster and MC that is on the car that you are taking the entirety of the brake system from" but not everything always pans out that way. The 68 is currently manual brakes, so I am not sure if I have to change the pedal / rod or anything like that around, in order to accommodate 4 disc power brakes now. Any insight to this would be great.
2B: Proportioning valve: Since my plan is to use literally the entire brake setup from the 94 gt (master cylinder, all 4 calipers, and abs system) I wouldn't think the car needs a proportioning valve. Its not like there is a vast difference in the distribution of weight between the two cars that would require more bias than it is currently setup, right? Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
3B: E brake setup: the answer is out there, I know people have done it, I have to research it more: but how are you guys hooking up your ebrake to an 8.8 swap with rear discs. Should be fairly simple with a cable, yes?

Transmission:
T5 is going in. Lots of info on T5 swap and needed stuff, and with the windsor going in front of it, its currently not rocket science. I am aware that the 94/95 t5 has the extended bell and input shaft. I have an 88 t5, bell, and clutch kit (ill prob throw that out) also sitting in the garage. Take off sn95 bell / input shaft, install fox bell / input shaft on sn95 trans (because I know it works, verse the one sitting in my garage for years I've never actually used), and go. Bang, t5 swap. Clutch on the current donor car has 20k miles on it. Since I am taking the bell off, I'll peak at the friction disc. I see a clutch kit without the flywheel is "just another $200 item". If I can salvage what I have without imminent destruction, I'll send it. Again, not sure how long the t5 / 5.0 setup will be in there before a tko / LS setup is. Different story for different time though.

Questions:
1T: Fox T5 / 5.0 to Sn95 8.8 driveshaft length? Recommendation? Custom, or is there something out there that will fit as is? I'm just going to assume that the sn95 one won't work, because my luck doesn't work like that.

Rear:
Sn95 8.8. I know its the 28 spline, its ok. I know its a 3.07 lsd, its ok. One day ill switch over to the explorer rear end, but right now this one works and I can send it. I know its a little wider, I plan on using sn95 wheels anyway. The plan would be to use the AJE 4 link rear setup, so I don't have to worry about needing to setup leaf springs on it, and the suspension kit I would use for the front end would usually come with rears (or I get one with rears purposefully). With the 4 link, both the 4 link and rear end install seem to be pretty easy with their setup. And since the Sn95 is already setup for it, I believe the rear will be pretty accepting of it.

Wheels:
Sn95 17x7.5 or 8, whatever they are, crager looking wheels. Ill just use them until I find something "better" or I feel like changing wheels. From my understanding the sn95 wheels and the sn95 rear should fit ok, and the same in the front. If not, they will get sold and Ill find another set of wheels. My current ones wont work, as they are the 14" 4 lug.

Questions:
1W: Am I setting myself up for fitment issues?

In summary:
AJE Front / Rear setup, allows for usage of sn95 setup. Use 94 Gt 5.0 Motor, t5 Trans, power steering, power brakes, abs, efi, rear end, brakes. Source a driveshaft. Repair and replace as needed on items out of the donor car. Try to figure out A/C in the future because I sweat easy.

Does this plan look like I am missing something drastic? This would get the car from being the i6 3 speed, to a v8, disc conversion, with lots of modern goodies, in a really efficient way. I thought about this when I was looking at front disc swaps to match an explorer rear swap. Those swaps alone were close to the price of the k member and A arms. And I would still need 5 lug wheels, and change the steering out, suspension would still be from the 60s, etc. This seems like it clicks all my boxes at once, and does it nicely overlapping each other, and the donor car was a whopping $900. I will scrap and sell off items I don't need, its not in bad shape.

Please, tell me where I am wrong, or where I am crazy.
Well I like your plans, But I think you are crazy, as far as getting it done in that time frame. Do you have help? I have a 65 that had a 6 cyl. 3 spd and I bought a donor 92 fox. Day after thanksgiving of 2018 I completely disassembled it, cleaned it, KBS the whole underneath, engine bay and floor boards by Jan. of 2019. I then installed the 5.0L, T5, explorer rear end, 72 maverick spindles and rotors. Stripped the wiring and installed into 65, by the way I didn't cut 1 single wire from the 65. I had it running by memorial day but I worked my butt off to get it done. Your list looks bigger with the steering and coil overs. I did use the explorer e brake with 2 rights side cables, made a bracket to go under the trans to mount cables, had to cut 7 rings off the cables at the wheels. I do have 4 wheel disk with dual master cylinder, no proportioning valve and no brake booster, brakes work good. Smog pump won't matter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have help when I need it. My garage is basically a small shop without a lift. A good friend and helper has a shop that I have lift access to whenever really, as they have some storage ones where the 68 is currently; so its not a huge rush to get it on and off. But, this is kind of my focus, my job if you will, for the next so many weeks. The pandemic helps with freeing up time as well.

The car has a lot of sentimental value for a lot of reasons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts