Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand nobody currently has a fix for adding a stereo to a 68 console (knobs not long enough to clear padding) I figure I'm not the 1st to have this problem. Anybody else come up with a solution without "hacking" up the console? And yes I've tried the Custom Auto sound route......Nothing!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Nothing - Same delima

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Here's a really bad way to do it....

I found an old set of non-console knobs, cut the female ends off the 2nd pair of knobs that I had, JB welded them to the back of the 1st pair so that the knobs now clear the console padding and they fit the radio posts. No one will know the difference unless they take the knobs off to look. Kinda of like spacers. Beats $75 for a pair of real knobs.

J. Boggs

ps. I have a bag full old Ford radio knobs if you want some.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Here's a really bad way to do it....

I found an old set of non-console knobs, took a set of knobs off another car from the era (doesn't really matter which one), cut the female ends off the 2nd pair of knobs, JB welded them to the back of the 1st pair so that the knobs now clear the console padding. No one will know the difference unless they take the knobs off to look. Beats $75 for a pair of real knobs.

J. Boggs

ps. I have a bag full old Ford radio knobs if you want some.

·
Registered
759 Posts
You can go to http://www.sounddomain.com and click on the cars section. Go thru the motions and choose to look at Ford cars. There was a 67 that I saw which mounted his radio in the console. You might want to give him a email.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called Custom auto sound and sounded off on the problem and to my surprise..... they now have the knobs to fit. (had them made) Anyway "if" and "when" you decide to install a stereo you need to tell whomever you buy your stereo from that Custom has the knobs and to order you a set to go with the stereo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts