Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took apart my rear quarter trim panels to re-upholster them.I notice that the studs are
riveted to the plastic panels. How do we remove them and re-install once the upholstery has been done. I noticed a tool from NPD for over $100 to install them. There must be another way? Also some of the hard plastic has some of the ears broken off. Is there anyone who might have an extra set of these for sale?
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
When I re-did my '68 I very carefully drilled out the old studs from behind. To reinstall I used a block of wood drilled to the size/depth of the snap on the front, placed them face down, and then used a steel drfit with a rounded end to tap the rear sides to flare and hold 'em down. Not a perfect rolled edge, but worked.

If you over drill the holes you can easily refiberglass them and redrill. Some use small washers on the backside to help hold them in place.

For the ears, I just formed up a mold off the good ones using plasticene (I'd guess PlayDoh would work as well) and then built up the broken off items using strips of fibergalss mat (woven, not random). Built that up with 3 or 4 or 5 layers (I forget) let it harden, ansded and then drilled the new holes. A few hours work and the repairs worked really well. Had to do 3 or 4 on the two panels.

Repro panels are avalable, IIRC they run about $170-200 for a pair.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts