Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a 68 coupe, can you remove both full floor pans without worrying about the unibody tweaking? i have two jackstands under the rear axle and two under the front frame rails. im at a halt wating for parts, cause i dont want to cut out metal unless i have the replacement in hand.... i currently have the drivers side full floor out, torque box and floor extension. im waiting on the front frame inner patch. so until then i was wondering if i could start dissasembly on the passenger side.

the floor is pretty shot anyways, pretty much its just the seat riser connecting the rocker to the tranny tunnel.

TIA

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
I know the feeling - that air conditioning (and puddles...) coming up from the feet-as-you-drive sensation. :p My seat risers performed a similar function, until I took the car off the road to await its time with the bodyshop.
Do those body/crash sheets I see on Ebay provide this sort of info about how to keep the unibody in alignment?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jmagilto - but what do you do if you are going to replace the whole thing w/ a dynacorn full floor (which, if I was doing the whole floor thing that would be the way I'd go...). Personally, I would spend the extra cash and time and build a wooden dolly that supports the frame rails, that way you can limit any shifting. That being said a few questions:
Is the car completely striped? (engine, trans, other heavy stuff?) w/ the jackstands I would assume yes, but we all know what that does for you and me...
How are your torque boxes, toeboards, engine bay?
How are the frame rails themselves?
Again, IF the car were completely striped and the other metal was in decent shape; I would go and build a dolly to cradle the rails, then drill out everything and buy the dynacorn full floor. More money, but less time, welding and effort in my opinion for a better product.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts