Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Hope no one has lost their mind yet to quarantine-itis. I know I would have if it weren't for the Mustang :p

So far I've read really, really poor reviews on the available mounts due due to them not fitting. I accept that they may need some grinding or elongating of the holes. But would like to avoid the ones that are way off the buck. But the only Mount I've read anything close to descent review one would be the "Anchor Industries 2287".

Seems this is a very sticky and tough topic and tough to find good parts that actually fit well. I'm gathering data for a possible replacement to my front mounts to see if I can bring the engine up an inch or so to level the fan out with the stock style shroud.

A little background: Car came with the motor mounts in picture (no I did not EVER use that Fram filter. It just came that way as a rebuilt 302 that saw a little bit of bench/dyno break in time). When I put in motor + tranny got the car all running it ended up the matching "Prothane" mount in the trans caused horrid driveline vibrations. Replaced this with a stock type. Vibrations went away! However this raised the tranny tail a bit causing the fan to angle down. Shroud bottom had to be cut. I have another better shroud but it won't work unless the fan goes up an inch or two. Or the bottom of this one is sawed off too. I've got a 17" 6-blade fan and clutch that works nicely with the aftermarket alum rad.

The shaking is not all that bad with these prothane motor mounts as it's a pretty smooth running 302. But that is a secondary reason to replace it if anything. I think these prothane mounts were sourced by the P.O. at Mustangs Plus. I'd keep them if I could raise them up a bit. I just got rid of his junk P/S control valve and thought about this as my next project.

If anyone else knows of decent stock style mounts please let me know! Many of the threads I've researched on here were quite ancient and I know that new things are repopped all through the last decade or two. I checked NPD, CJ all the usual and most have the troublesome kind, probably foreign made (I'm sure they all are) that had bad reviews.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I wonder if you can safely raise the engine with spacers under the bolts to the block ? Either way, I would be interested in those mounts if you do replace them :)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if you can safely raise the engine with spacers under the bolts to the block ? Either way, I would be interested in those mounts if you do replace them :)
I’ve read various opinions about shimming the mounts. Unlikely to raise the motor a full inch. It will be a while before I try swapping the mounts. Unless this COVid hell drags out all summer and I get bored again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts