Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy my first vintage mustang has anyone ever heard of this_
As you can see in the photos on the drivers side fender where the vin is stamped it is missing the 5 digit this was very rare. This would happen sometimes on the “R” code and “S” code cars. This one should have had a R for a 428 but as you can see in the vin plate it is there so this is just another cool thing about this stang. Thanx

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have not, but I'm sure that one of the other more knowledgeable members will chime in here and share their wealth with us.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
We are talking about the fender apron stamps. The rest of the data plates will have the full vin #. I have 2 681/2 CJ fastbacks. One has the blank in 5th digit space and the other car has the R. Generally, the early cars had a blank space. And the San Jose built cars are referred to as Double R cars ! Just some general trivia.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
It's a rare / cool car for sure. They made I think 221 coupes. Is the car white w/ Red stripe, red interior and in Michigan and has been on ebay lately ?

The guy bought it in Ohio a couple weeks ago for $25K

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Looking to buy my first vintage mustang has anyone ever heard of this_
As you can see in the photos on the drivers side fender where the vin is stamped it is missing the 5 digit this was very rare. This would happen sometimes on the “R” code and “S” code cars. This one should have had a R for a 428 but as you can see in the vin plate it is there so this is just another cool thing about this stang. Thanx
Yes, this happened and wasn't all that uncommon.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
It was bid-up to $31K last week on ebay as a no sale. If it was a 4spd it would bring more... And if it was a fastback it would bring alot more.

The right person would probably pay $45K for it.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Kevin could tell ya for sure ! But figure all of 4spd cars came from the factory with a tach, and I would speculate half of the people that requested a c6 auto tranny and special ordered a 428 in 68 would request a factory tach. Then again, I'm sure it was more cool to have a Sun tach on the steering column or hood tach etc...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The car in question also has a racing history which should add some value. It is the IHRA record holder for a local track IIRC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts