Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys whats up? Im new to the forum and was hoping for some advice on my 68 coupe. This was my first car when I was 16 and after 9 years I can finally start to fix it up how Ive always wanted. My ultimate goal for this car is just a really fun street car. Probably wont ever take it to the track. Probably wont have more than 400-450 horses (if that) out of an 87 5.0. Does anyone have any suggestions on a suspension set up? Im honestly very much a novice and welcome any advice.

I have seen things like the TCI and TCP bolt on 4 link suspension kits as well as the IFS/disc break kits and was wondering if anyone has used these systems and if they would be good for what i want out of my car, or if its a little overkill?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

·
Registered
10,435 Posts
in no particular order , call any or all of these vendors
Welcome BTW, Oh and
254.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
All suggestions are assuming its an original V8 car.

Rebuild the stock suspension with quality, name brand parts, do the shelby/arning drop and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Garciaja,

Welcome!
Your question on its own is just too loaded.
Kind of like asking your little honey which diamond she would prefer If all are fair game.
There are numerous suspension options but it all gets down to bang for your buck.
Any such upgrades should be considered as an over package For your entire front and rear suspension system imho.

So what is your budget range?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Stay factory set up for street warrior. Do the drop, HD sway, export brace, disc brakes, moog 8534 BB coils up front with roller perches, 4.5 leafs with reverse eye out back. Buy expensive shocks, you will be happy.

·
Registered
34,730 Posts
Hey guys whats up? I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some advice on my 68 coupe. This was my first car when I was 16 and after 9 years I can finally start to fix it up how Ive always wanted. My ultimate goal for this car is just a really fun street car. Probably wont ever take it to the track. Probably wont have more than 400-450 horses (if that) out of an 87 5.0. Does anyone have any suggestions on a suspension set up? I'm honestly very much a novice and welcome any advice.

I have seen things like the TCI and TCP bolt on 4 link suspension kits as well as the IFS/disc brake kits and was wondering if anyone has used these systems and if they would be good for what i want out of my car, or if its a little overkill?
Coupster is right, all those mods are overkill for a street machine. Do the Arning drop, install a 1" front sway bar, export brace, and Monte Carlo bar, front disc brakes, and good quality performance shocks. Then talk to us about power upgrades. Wouldn't want you to die driving a big engine before the car could safely take it. If you get wheel hop, install Traction Masters™ (not the imitations).

BTW, this car has way less than 400 hp. Yes, it IS racing, and yes, it IS in the air-

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
these days teh front suspension has been well scienced out. and unless you are going racing, and i mean big time racing, the stock type front suspension in modified form does very nicely. get with john at opentracker racing for his recommendations for your setup.

moving to the rear suspension, this is where you will get the most bang for the buck, as it were, if you were to drop a bucket load of cash to upgrade here. for a street car i suggest running the street or track three link rear suspension. it flat out works well, and is cost effective, if you consider $3000 cost effective;

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Garciaja,

Welcome!
Your question on its own is just too loaded.
Kind of like asking your little honey which diamond she would prefer If all are fair game.
There are numerous suspension options but it all gets down to bang for your buck.
Any such upgrades should be considered as an over package For your entire front and rear suspension system imho.

So what is your budget range?
Haha yeah youre right, I probably should have mentioned budget. Like some of you said, this will be a street machine. I have a 17 5.0 and if I decided to mod one of the two for track driving it would definately be the 17. Ideally I would like to spend less than 3k for the entire suspension set up. But I was (and still am) willing to consider spending more but only if its worth it. Keeping it kind of stock with new higher quiality parts sounds good to me if that can handle some fun on the streets. I am also planning on installing front disc brakes in the future.

·
Registered
34,730 Posts
Haha yeah youre right, I probably should have mentioned budget. Like some of you said, this will be a street machine. I have a 17 5.0 and if I decided to mod one of the two for track driving it would definately be the 17. Ideally I would like to spend less than 3k for the entire suspension set up. But I was (and still am) willing to consider spending more but only if its worth it. Keeping it kind of stock with new higher quiality parts sounds good to me if that can handle some fun on the streets. I am also planning on installing front disc brakes in the future.
Sounds right. Improving handling is a better priority for street driving even than braking, as long as the stock drums are working properly. Recall the the first year of K code Mustangs had drum brakes, as did the first decade+ of Corvettes.

As for cost effectiveness, the rear end could benefit from GT leaf springs, and Traction Masters. I have run my 66 at autocross and time trials with smooth predictable handling and no wheel hop. This would run you under $400. The Arning drop for the front would cost you zero, other than labor. Add the brace, and the bars, and you'd still be under $400 for the front, even if you added T springs for the front you'd be looking at about that. Throw in a couple hundred for shocks and you be looking at about $1000 for suspension upgrades that would transform the car, you'd hardly recognize it when you drove it. All that for 1/3 of your proposed budget.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts