Vintage Mustang Forums banner

68 Coupe to 69 Mustang custom conversion

6548 Views 113 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  Tanker74
I am new to the forum. So please don’t kill my typing skills. Or photograph skills.! Lol! I am pleased to share a very special project to me! It is a 68 Mustang coupe that will be converted to a 69 Custom Fastback. I am attempting a tall build for my 15 year old Son! He has kept a toy 69 Fastback since he was 7 years old! So he challenged dear ol Dad to build him his dream car. I come from a long history of Car enthusiast,Body by fisher employee ,& 74 year old Vietnam Veteran! Not to mention Car restoration Father! Well anyhow here are a few pictures of our progress. We aren’t going for a Sema car. But a nice driver for a 16 year old. It will go threw a full body modification to a 69 Fastback. With a tasteful modern style drivetrain. Thanks for reading my post! Hope it’s something people will try in the future! I highly recommend any metal savvy fabricator to give it a try! Here is our 68 Coupe to 69 Fastback Conversion Build!
Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Tire Light Tread Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Car Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

· Registered
1,474 Posts
That’s cool that you’re building this for your son.

Curious… given the effort, why not start with a 69 fastback? I know they’re not cheap, but you appear to have the skills to repair a rusted out shell (aka a more affordable starting point) if needed.

Don’t mean to poo poo your effort. Just a query.

Sincerely wish you the best of luck, and look forward to watching your progress.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

· Registered
69 Mustang Grande Coupe, 302 with GT40 heads Edelbrock Manifold and Holley Sniper EFI
92 Posts
Interesting project, you can recoup (sorry for the pun) some of your money buy selling the spare parts off the 68. I'm going to be following this build, looks fun. Are you going to attempt to use a 69 interior or the 68? Or maybe something totally custom?
Seeya
Mark

· Registered
1,326 Posts
There is quite a bit of body differences between a 68 and a 69 not just sheet metal might wanna go find a 69 coupe to convert to a fb or a 69 fb if your dead set on a 69 but personally a 68 coupe is pretty bad ass to

· I won a special award
9,661 Posts
I know with the right tools and ability someone can fab up most anything. But the structure of a 68 is very different than a 69 Mustang. I imagine there's going to be a whole lot of fab work to convert a 68 coupe to a 69 fastback. I think it would be a lot easier to start with a 69/70 fastback, or even a 69/70 coupe. But to each his own.

· Premium Member
1966 GT 4spd
2,263 Posts
This will be interesting.....surprisingly that coup looks really clean. :)

I am of the same camp, convert this one to a 68 Fastback or buy a 69 coup to change to a fastback....but it will be fun to watch regardless

Chris

· Registered
5,051 Posts
I am of the opposing opinion. I think this will be very interesting...specifically by doing this you get to keep features of the '68 that are(admittedly subjective) more appealing such as the tail light panel and dashboard design. To be honest, I am not a huge fan of fastbacks to start with and the '69 is in 2rd place in my eyes for fastback design(I like the '65-66 design best, leaves more of a trunk and the lines flow better into the quarters) but even so, I am interested to see a custom blended car. Resale value of course would be questionable, but I am much more a fan of the build process than anything else anyway.

· Registered
2,010 Posts
I am of the opposing opinion. I think this will be very interesting...specifically by doing this you get to keep features of the '68 that are(admittedly subjective) more appealing such as the tail light panel and dashboard design. To be honest, I am not a huge fan of fastbacks to start with and the '69 is in 2rd place in my eyes for fastback design(I like the '65-66 design best, leaves more of a trunk and the lines flow better into the quarters) but even so, I am interested to see a custom blended car. Resale value of course would be questionable, but I am much more a fan of the build process than anything else anyway.
There's a guy on vintage mustang page of Facebook by the name Will Thang. He has a 10k budget for building his 69 mustang fastback and is doing tons of fab work to make it happen. He modded the back of his 69 and it looks very 68ish. You might check in out

Reactions: Huntingky

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well we started with a 68 cause we traded for a 68 to start with. So I have no cash tied up in the car. I choose to fabricate the 68 into a 69. So my son will have a completely custom fastback. Of his own. Not like every other Fastback at the car show. And yes the difference of a 68 &69 Fastback aren’t that much difference.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If anyone has any leads on a 1969 Mustang fastback project. I would be interested? I noticed a few people ask? Why didn’t I just buy a 69 Fastback? Do you have one for sale? Being a project car not priced at over $10,000.

· Premium Member
1966 GT 4spd
2,263 Posts
It looks like you definitely have your work cut out for you melding the roof with the windshield. From the pics anyways :)

Enjoying the progress.

Chris

1 - 20 of 114 Posts