Vintage Mustang Forums banner

68 Coupe to 69 Mustang custom conversion

6548 Views 113 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  Tanker74
I am new to the forum. So please don’t kill my typing skills. Or photograph skills.! Lol! I am pleased to share a very special project to me! It is a 68 Mustang coupe that will be converted to a 69 Custom Fastback. I am attempting a tall build for my 15 year old Son! He has kept a toy 69 Fastback since he was 7 years old! So he challenged dear ol Dad to build him his dream car. I come from a long history of Car enthusiast,Body by fisher employee ,& 74 year old Vietnam Veteran! Not to mention Car restoration Father! Well anyhow here are a few pictures of our progress. We aren’t going for a Sema car. But a nice driver for a 16 year old. It will go threw a full body modification to a 69 Fastback. With a tasteful modern style drivetrain. Thanks for reading my post! Hope it’s something people will try in the future! I highly recommend any metal savvy fabricator to give it a try! Here is our 68 Coupe to 69 Fastback Conversion Build!
Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Tire Light Tread Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Car Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
41 - 60 of 114 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yes the car is a 67 Fastback. But keep in mind here we are talking about children. My son says I want it to look like this? He plays this new game and decides I want a 69 Fastback?! Shaking my head I say son that’s a 67 Fastback custom by West COast Customs! Keep in mind my buddy had just purchased a 66/67 rough body. So I could start the process for my son. Doing research the measurements wouldn’t work . So it brought me to trading for a 68 Coupe. Which you see in the pictures Red on Red! The conversion has took place, now more customization! I appreciate everyone who comment, like and sends kind words! Here are a few pictures of the toy my son has had for at least 5-7 years! It barely survived at least it was enough to go by! Well as we continue the build as parts come in. I still can’t believe how it looks so far! Stay tuned! To Be Continued …….
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Attachments

· Registered
5,051 Posts
Interested to see what you do for the tail light panel....not many people willing to tackle something like that. I made a custom one myself for my '66:

Not finished or anything, but I really did not like the stock 65-66 tail lights(getting the crease correct to match the bezels is a lot of work, still ended up with more filler than I would like)

· Premium Member
1966 GT 4spd
2,263 Posts
Im not a fan of the upper roof scoops but love how you melded a 67/69 together. :)

Chris

Reactions: blueovalfan68

· Registered
1,477 Posts
Amazing work! It's neat to see how you solved the junction of differing areas; doors to quarter panels, roof to A-pilars, etc. What's the plan for the windows?

Reactions: gt350sr

· Registered
8,033 Posts
Not sure how I missed this build thread but actually glad I did. Starting from the 1st page, it didn't take me long to catch up to the present (so no waiting for me).

Sick build and so many interesting transitions. I would have been one of the "Why" guys when you started. Very nice work and it's really coming together nicely.

Interior should be interesting as well!

Allen

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I appreciate all the comments. I wasn’t a fan of the upper scoops at all! But the things we do for our children! 😂 it looks like the West coast Customs toy. The windows ive worked it out. After we paint and install them. I’ll post more. What did you guys think about the push button Hood pins?

41 - 60 of 114 Posts