Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble with trunk not staying open. Is there a trick for setting the trunk tension rods. Can anyone post pics or try to descibe installing them corectly.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Not saying this is the problem by any means, but I've heard of it happening; if the car has a lot filler on the truck that the weight makes it harder for things to stay up. Might be something to check for, sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Is there a trick for setting the trunk tension rods.
There is a tool you need to have or make from a piece of flat bar to be able to adjust or remove/install the rods. I made one from a template that I think I got from a post here IIRC.
There are a couple of setting so you might just need a little more umph.

Do a search using things like "tension rods" "trunk springs" etc. It was easy to make and worked great.

Let me know if you can't find it.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Here you go:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6940/trunklidtoolam5.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
That tool only allows removal of the tension rod, not adjustments for tension.

To adjust the tension, you're gonna have to futz with the deck lid to hinge bolts, typically by raising or lowering the lid to hinge flanges...see pic and A and B.

http://midlife66.com/trunk/hinge.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Important note....... Use this correct tool for the task and nothing else. Vice grips and other similar tools will get you some bloody knuckles and broken fingers. Take it from a doofus that learned his lesson the hard way! ;)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Although I agree that the above tool would make things easier, it's not the only way to install/remove the rods...

I use (carefully) the wrench for changing discs on my 4" grinder. It's by no means as safe as the proper tool, but it gets the job done and I haven't bloodied any knuckles or broken any fingers.... yet.

Dave

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
To adjust the tension, you're gonna have to futz with the deck lid to hinge bolts, typically by raising or lowering the lid to hinge flanges...see pic and A and B.
Different setup for a '68, the rods are all that affects the tension. Hinge adjustment is independent of the tension rods.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
The tool pic listed above I made from a pic out of the 1967 Ford shop manual to install AND adjust tension on my 67 vert. Works quite well. Also I learned (the hard way) that there is a LH and a RH spring. First time installed, had others look at it, tried all 3 settings, vert lid didn't stay up as it should. On a chance I took both springs back out, switched them around and reinstalled and adjusted with the install tool, problem solved. I believe diff. years as well as FB use a diff. setup. How to do it is explained in the Ford shop manual.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
65-8 cpes and cvs work the same way with the three tension notches and the hinge bolt pattern is different with the fstbk. The closest notch to the rear of car gives the most tension. Mine is set there as car now as a luggage rack. Even then it would probably work OK in the center notch. Believe that both rods have to be put under tension. Like to do the decklid adjustments with no tank in car so that one person can adjust the bolts while somone on the outside gets the gaps right. Not nec to do this but it helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts