Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am starting to plan the replacement of all the wiring in my 68 coupe after a engine fire months ago melted all the wiring under the dash. Luckily i have all the stock wiring available in a parts car but i wanted to know if anyone had any modifications that would be best done while I have all the dash ripped apart or any tips to make it go a lot easier.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If that wiring is hacked up at all then go with a new one from Allow Metal Products. In the long run you will be better off. Getting those 45 year old hardened plugs apart and together is tough.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I would recommend painless, I just bought a wiring harness from them and its a real good product. Every wire is labeled and they have wires in place for MSD setups, Tachs, electric choke etc.

Instruction manual is real detailed and it even includes hardware to get the wires through the firewall. Not a bad price considering the price of individual repro whips and harnesses

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would recommend painless, I just bought a wiring harness from them and its a real good product. Every wire is labeled and they have wires in place for MSD setups, Tachs, electric choke etc.

Instruction manual is real detailed and it even includes hardware to get the wires through the firewall. Not a bad price considering the price of individual repro whips and harnesses
That's what I am planning. Never done much electrical but I am told it is one of the easier kits and well laid out. Figure with my skills it should only take a month! In the long run I figure it would be expensive to farm it out so regardless of how much time it takes it will be money saved.

Some of my wiring looks chaffed and lots of splicing for when someone did the stereo.

RME

·
Registered
757 Posts
I am no expert on car electrical, however I am fairly experience in low voltage electrical.

This kit has impressed me and I dealt with wire on a day-day basis for 2 years (far more than 40 hours a week).

The description is not as detailed as the instructions. If you want I can take some pictures of the kit and show them to you.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am no expert on car electrical, however I am fairly experience in low voltage electrical.

This kit has impressed me and I dealt with wire on a day-day basis for 2 years (far more than 40 hours a week).

The description is not as detailed as the instructions. If you want I can take some pictures of the kit and show them to you.
Pictures always sound great. I am a novice when it comes to electrical but am hoping this kit wont be over my head. I had basically nailed it down to the painless or the autowire kit. Everyone says the painless instructions are very detailed.

RME

·
Registered
757 Posts
the painless kit is catered to the inexperienced as well. i mean the instructions break every section down and detail it thoroughly so there are no serious questions left to be answered. i can guarantee anyone its not 'over youre head'

give me 10 and I will post some pictures.

plus a bonus i believe the 67-68 wiring kit is about $100ish cheaper than the 65-66.

will check if includes a new high beam kick-button

·
Registered
757 Posts

Could not see the high beam button, maybe it was hiding in the harness.

As you can see from the instruction guide its very clear and thorough.

There is a sample 'braid' which i think sucks because now I want to buy rolls of that stuff!! Highly evolved marketing me thinks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Could not see the high beam button, maybe it was hiding in the harness.

As you can see from the instruction guide its very clear and thorough.

There is a sample 'braid' which i think sucks because now I want to buy rolls of that stuff!! Highly evolved marketing me thinks.
Was going to ask about wrapping the wiring but you as I can see they sell the 'braid.'
Instructions seems pretty straightforward and detailed for even a novice like myself to follow.

The pictures were much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts