Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yeah, welcome and Congrats! If you're new to classics then you're gonna be in fir a great ride!! Take pictures of everything you do along the way!! And post a few here!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys yea I have never kept records or pics of any of my old cars so this one im gonna record everything and post some here. My wife is going to go this Sat and take some more indepth pictures of it so ill post those.

·
Registered
698 Posts
That is a true project car. Take your time, do some research on what you want to do and what is feasible, and make a plan and stick to it if you can.

Post up build pics as you make progress.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha well I figure you hear about people buying this supposedly good looking mustangs and they end up being rust buckets. So since mine looks like a rust bucket maybe it wont be that bad, no... well I can hope right haha. Oh I have a pretty clear picture of what I want it to be like when finished just cant over look all the work I need to do before then. I mean I would love to go right into putting cobra brakes and coil overs on it but I need to take care of rust and the small things first. If I have to drive it with stock brakes for a couple yrs than so be it. Because this is going to be a driver not a garage/ trailer queen.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so maybe you guys can help me with some questions I have. Im trying to see what all needs to be done to the engine to make the 302 install correct. I am gonna be home at the end of the yr for 2wks so Im trying to start ordering parts so I can do some work on it.
?1- why is the alt on the drivers side unlike all the pics of 289/302 I have seen.

?2- Is their anything you guys see on the engine that looks like it is wrong.

?3- should their be a fan shroud?

Well other than no aircleaner, vacuum lines and it is dirty...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea a quick update, my wife sent me some pictures and I got a big shock... I knew their was a hole in the pass floor board so when I seen it I was suprised. But what I was suprised about was when I seen the kittens in the car. Ends up a cat climbed into the car and had kittens... So my mom is gonna round them up and take them to the pound. I thought about keeping one but taking a cat to germany is not that cheap.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Awwww...free kitties! That's cute! The alternator on the driver side is weird. I'm not sure why its over there. A fan shroud will help with cooling.

The engine looks dirty, but it seems to be all connected. Just make sure all the fluids are full and that your connections are good before you try to start it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok well I have a guy from church that looked over the steering and said he would rebuild the box for cost. It is done and in the car he said it works great. He put some starter fluid in the carb and it started right up but the gas is old. So he is going to change the oil,coolant and gas for me. I want to do it myself but I only get 2wks back in the states so I said he can get it atleast driveable. It was suppose to be a suprise but ends up my wife wanted him to get it to the point that she could pick me up from the airport in it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice find, good luck with the build. I noticed your '68 has the same later model mustang steering wheel as mine. lol. Must've been a popular wheel.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
need advice

Ok well like I said I bought this car before I even seen it in person. I took the guys word that the body work had been done and only rust hole was the pass front floor. Well When I actually see it I realize that ontop of the hole in the front pass their is a patch panel infront of every seat. So basically only good part of floor panel is the tunnel and I think some of the frame rails will need replaced aswell. All the outside chrome is going to need replaced along with atleast the pass 1/4 panel and the whole thing painted. Here are some pics 1st. patch over rear pass floor 2. patch on drivers side 3. part of rear 1/4 4. another of rear quarter, it actually goes up to right behind the side scoop all the way back to behind the wheel. 5. this is the trunk with the fuel pump not even bolted down or anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
more pics

Ok here some more random pics I ment to get some of the underneath but didnt get to it. Oh and I forgot to say that about only good piece of the original interior is the dash pad.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
You know the rust looks bad but even a small hole in a panel could require a lot of work. Even frame rails can be repaired. I had to replace everything from the firewall forward on my car.
Make a plan, set a budget (expect to go over the budget) and ask for any help or advise. Don't get too discouraged and give up. It may take a long time to get a project like this finished.
What are your plans? It look like it was a 6 cylinder manual trans car originally based on the 4 lug wheels and the skinny brake pedal. Have you "decoded" the VIN and door tag yet?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did decode the vin and it said that it was made in cali I believe and that it was a 200ci but that is all I remember... I ment to get the door tag when I was home but forgot. I dont plan on selling it unless I have to so the fact that it was a I6 doesnt bug me. Other than the rust all the stuff that needs changed is stuff I would change anyways. Like it needs paint,interior,brakes,suspension which are all things I would change. I believe on improving on the factory so even if it had v8 brakes/suspension I would want to make it handle and brake better. Just wasnt expecting so much rust but hey I guess ill get good at metal work....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts