Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on relocating the battery to the trunk area? And if you have done this, what kit did you use?

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
I used the Taylor kit www.taylorvertex.com It comes with all the cables and a heavy duty tray.

As for the relocation, it cleans up the engine comp't and gives you better weight distribution and traction to some degree. I routed the cable inside the car to the trunk in my fastback. Left the solenoid in engine bay.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I got the summit brand complete kit. I left the solenoid in the engine bay as well. Pretty easy to do, depending on how you want to run the Positive cable.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Summit kit as well. Cleans up the engine compartment nicely. I left my solenoid in the engine compartment also.

Side note: if you have RCA cables for your stereo, don't run them near the + cable. If you don't have RCA's- disregard

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info everyone. i think it will be put on my santa list now. does the kit have to be sealed or does that matter?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,386 Posts
Sealed or not, you'll want some way to vent the battery outside the trunk. A lot of people use sealed boxes and then the box has a vent to underneath the car somewhere. NHRA rules require such a box if a car to be raced doesn't have solid steel "firewall" betweent he trunk and passenger area. Mustangs don't, unless you've added one behind the seat. Even if you never intend to race, keep in mind that almost all the NHRA's "rules" are intended to keep people safe. No harm in following them.
If you don't want a box, you can just secure the battery and find some vented top caps. Original Shelby's had these, they had a hose that ran through the trunk floor to vent outside the car. Some BMWs, Miatas, and 90's Olds Auroras used the same setup.
A third choice would be to use a "dry cell" or truly "sealed" battery. An "Optima" gel cell is good. They aren't truly "sealed" but don't vent enough to be a problem.
All this venting stuff is about two things. A battery in use puts out some nasty gasses. One is flammable. Imagine a badly gassing (overcharging) battery in a sealed trunk and someone opens the trunk with a lit cigarette in hand. Nasty.
Other gasses are corrosive. You might see some odd long term corrosion in the trunk with an unsealed/non-vented battery in there. Picture the white gunk on your old battery terminals growing on your trunk hinges.
And yes, my 67 coupe's battery is in the trunk. And vented. ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts