Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a prior post in which it was stated that GT's in 68 did not get a tach as standard equipment. I have seen options lists noting the tach, but none noting the speedo with trip meter. Was this a separate option well? Was a 68 GT optioned car dash/instrument cluseter identical to a non-GT?

I ask because I have a 68 GT 4 speed S code. It has speedo with trip meter and 8k tach. The Marti report mentions the GT Equipment Group, but makes no mention of the trip meter or tach as options. Anyone know the story on these optional items and how they relate to either a S code or GT optioned car?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The tach and trip meter speedometer in 67/68 were always together in cluster. There was no difference in a GT or Non-Gt cluster, only difference usually was in whether car had deluxe interior. I know it is stated all 428 CJ cars in 68 with manual transmission came equipped with tach, it was optional for automatics (428 cars). Not sure if this held true for the 4 speed 390 cars as well, but most I have seen (390 cars in 67/68 with 4 speed) had the tach as well.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Not true in 67s !
In 67 there were 15032 cars with 390 4 sp , but only 9827 cars with tachs.
In 68 there were 8147 tach cars total. 1616 428 4sp--5800 390 4sp,that leaves only 731 tachs for the other 315000 + cars. :p

·
Registered
620 Posts
I also have the 8K tach in mine.It has the 390 with the C6 Auto Trans in it.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I too saw the numbers in Marti's book but ask another question,are all 390 4V a "GT"? I have a orig. '67 390 4spd conv. (verified by Marti's Elite report) and it does have a tach. All the report says is "GT" package. I believe I also read a mag. about two years ago (which I know I still have around that the "tach dash" was ONLY standard in a 390 GT 4spd car, ALL others it was an option. The story line was about GT's in general. I'll have to go look.
I recommend anyone with a GT to get Marti's Elite report as it broke down mine to be a one of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts