Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install a Deluxe interior in my '68 California Special. Does anyone have the measurements and/or photos of the cutouts for the lower door grill speakers & courtesy lites??

Neil Hoppe

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
http://www.janschutz.com/Pictures/DeluxeDoorCutouts.JPG

I have a template I used, I will need to dig it out of a box and try to post the measurements

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I just went through this. I have a pair of doors that were punched for this and used them to make a template. When all was said and done, I was better off just using the grilles for my template (which I ended up doing).

The doors just told me that the grilles ride slightly (maybe 1/8") up on the raised lip, but it would probably work aligning where the flat portion starts to bend out.

The repro hardware kit I got requires square holes for the screw anchors. Except for the middle two, I decided it was plenty good to just drill 1/8" holes in the metal. I still made square holes for the middle two grille screws because you need a spacer there. But, you could just use 1/8" holes there, too and just add "standoffs". Then you don't need the special hardware kit. All you need is some phillips head, countersunk #8 sheetmetal screws (with black heads).

Once you have your grilles, courtesy lights, and speakers, they will guide you.

I opted against the speakers as I couldn't find any good ones the right size. Plus, I didn't see how any speaker there would do much good.

I also found that the extra support bar for the pull handles pushes the door panel out and creates a very noticeable bump near the armrest. The "chrome" strip shows it off nicely. I may redo that to somehow mount the bar behind the skin instead of in front of it. At least I'll use pop rivets to install it since their heads are MUCH thinner than the screws.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You don't need to create the square holes to mount the grilles. You can run the screws straight into the sheet metal.

I did not have a problem with the pull handle support bar poking through the door panel. Are you sure that you mounted the ends down in the inset of the door frame? I even used the screws and it all worked out fine.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
68RCodeConv said:
You don't need to create the square holes to mount the grilles. You can run the screws straight into the sheet metal.
I think you need at least spacers for the middle two screws to keep from sucking them down too far.

68RCodeConv said:
I did not have a problem with the pull handle support bar poking through the door panel. Are you sure that you mounted the ends down in the inset of the door frame? I even used the screws and it all worked out fine.
Sounds like I have mine in wrong, then. I was suspicious when I installed them. I thought it was a crappy design. My parts car doors were missing these braces, but the holes were there which was my clue as to how they were mounted. In fact, I used measurements from them to mount mine.

Wonder if there's a photo somewhere of a correct install on these braces?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a couple photos of the door pull brace, but my computer skills (or lack thereof) prevent me from posting them!!
The speakers couldn't be much to speak of- kinda smallish.

Neil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts