Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- just replaced my drivers side door hinge parts because the door was sagging. Now it seems my door isnt flush when closed, at the bottom. How can i "tilt" the bottom of the door inward?? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Loosen the bolts on the door, not the cowl side, gently pull inward.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes you can. The bolts that screw into the A pillar set front to back (door and fender gaps). The 6 bolts that screw into the door set the tilt for top and bottom. It's a balancing act. I usually start by getting the bolts set on the A pillar so my door to quarter panel is where I want it as well as the height above the rocker and the gap to the cowl needs to be right or the door to fender will be off.. Then adjust the ones on the hinge to door to get the bottom of the door flush with the rocker. Again it's a balance act and can take a few back and forth adjustments to get it right. My advice is be patient and use small adjustments. Also open and close the door slowly to avoid chipping the paint. A little adjustment moves things a long way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Ok so the front back is perfect-i dont want to change that. I just need to tilt the bottom of the door inward and lieft the door literally a hair as when i use my key, i have to slightly lift the door with the other hand for the door to unlock. To do all this i need to loosen the bolts that go into the door from the two hinges?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seeing how the hinges are "fixed" how can only the bottom be rotated or tilted inward? I can see moving up and down and fwd and backward but tilted? Hmmmmmmm...cant picture it.Lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow...what a mess. Now i see the "balance" remark. I loosened the upper door side and bumped it out and sure nuf the back bottom came in. Shut the door and still had latching probs- went to open it and the front of the door was kept closed by the fender. No bueno. Yanked it opn and because of that can see that the door needs to go up and in on the front. I assume i need the fender off now to get to the body side nuts on those hinges. Wow. And then im thinking if i have the fender off how would i know the gap is correct. What a frustrating mess. Again, if anyone knows of a mustang guy willing to help a novice body guy in Ft Laud- send help! For now i just put it back how it was-at least it closes.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,273 Posts

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
883 Posts
It's like lennyB said, It takes TIME to get it right, One person can do,Two might be better, But not always better. You might have to use spacers, shims, tape, PATIENCE , Get it close, then tweek alittle at a time, It took me 2 days, to get mine where I was happy with them If you get stuck, walk away cool down and go again, I know you can do it.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
I should have mentioned it's a good idea to put some tape between each panel to prevent any rubbing of the paint. You also can tape a piece of string just to the front corner of the fender and go across the top of the fender, the door , and tape the other end to the front edge of the quarter so you have a guideline for where the same plane is (tho not necessarily level) even with one panel a little loose.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Also, if you get the door fit where it should be and you have to lift or push down to help release you may need to adjust the striker in the jamb.

·
Registered
688 Posts
What I do is pick one hinge bolt to keep tight which will serve as the pivot point. That bolt will be decided by which one seams closest to correct. Say for example the body line in the circle below is perfect but the bottom of the door is in to far, I would keep the bolt closest to that body line tight (the lower one on the top hinge in this example). I would barely loosen (just enough to allow them to move) the two above and the three on the lower hinge. I would be holding the door and bracing it with my hand against the rocker so I could feel how much I'm moving it. I'd also loosen the bottom bolts last so it doesn't move until my hand is secure so I can feel how much I moved it. I may also use a piece of tape as a witness mark so I know where It was and how much I moved it. Some times it takes a dozen micro moves to get it right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts