Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, quick question about spindles. did a search and didnt get an exact answer so thought I would post. Typically spend my time reading and not writing, so lets see how this goes.

I have a 68 with 4 wheel drums. The drums are 5 lug and I have been told that I can just swap to disc hardware if I find caliper brackets. Is this correct information or is the actual spindle different from drum to disc set up? Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
I believe that the factory Ford spindles are
different, drum versus disc on a 68. There are some
aftermarket kits that use an adaptor plate to
convert drum spindles to aftermarket disc brakes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And that is what I thought, 68 drums vs disc spindles were different. However I belive you can use 67 disc set up on 68 drum spindles. The spindles on 68 drums (I think) are the same as the 67 setup which can use disc or drum. Just looking for clarification on this. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
DVM04 said:
And that is what I thought, 68 drums vs disc spindles were different. However I belive you can use 67 disc set up on 68 drum spindles. The spindles on 68 drums (I think) are the same as the 67 setup which can use disc or drum. Just looking for clarification on this. Thanks for the reply.
This is correct.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
+1, it is correct.

I did this on my fastback, 68 drum spindles, 67 SSBC conversion kit. Worked great while I used it.

While the car is down for restoration I'm going to use Mustang Steve's kit for the new calipers and rotors.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
You could also use the after market conversion kits. Rod and Custom Motorsports and Scracebird are two low cost options.

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
So on a 67 you can just swap the disc and drum brake parts and not change the spindles, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts