Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been discussed before but I missed it. When I change my 68 drum brakes for disc brakes, do I need to find a disc brake pedal support? I see advertised all the components for the conversion to include the power brake pedal, but never the support. I know they do not make the support anymore so that is why it is not in catalogs but do I need to start checking junk yards and the e-place? Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
427 Posts
Only if you are also adding the power booster to the system. If you go with manual disks, no change is needed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Even when switching from manual to power, it's only the brake pedal and not the support, right?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not sure about that. I just tried the manual disks and figured if they were not powerful enough, I would add the booster and find a new pedal. But the manual disks work pretty well, and with the cam in my car, I wouldn't get much power boost anyway.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The reason for the PEDAL difference, is that the rod/pin on the manual and power (talking about brakes, aka having or not having a booster) is located differently on the pedal. This effects the "ratio" , aka, how much force is needed to push down on the pedal to get everything to work.

I *think* that since that brakes with the booster is in essence "easier", thus the pedal ratio is made a little bit harder. Since the non booster brakes are 'harder' (no booster helping), the pedal ratio is made "easier".

You can actually change the pedal ratio yourself by welding in a new pin. However, the exact location, I don't know.

I think the power pedal is actually LONGER in total length, which also affects things. (torque = force X radius). So the long pedal gives you more "radius", thus you get more torque.

For your 68, check out the ultrastang.com website. They added a late model booster. I *think* they changed the pin location also.

I hope that helps.

I have a 68, that I went to disc brakes. I stayed manual (no booster) brakes. They are a little hard to push sometimes, but I live with it. They work fine.

If I find a late model booster some day I might change it out. But its not a priority.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts