Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I'm well into my 68 fastback project and new sheet metal is being fit as we speak. i saved lft 1/4 but a new t/panel and rt 1/4 were necc. there was a aftermarket deck lid and its in good shape but the fit at the 1/4 extensions a hideous. the deck lid curvature is over 1/2" large and so drastic that i'm apprehensive to put all the blame on the off shore sheet metal. exts. are in great shape...1/4 fitment and gap lines are better then henry's...any body have this problem? will installing a OEM used deck lid cure this issue?

cvoroadglider

·
Registered
43 Posts
An OEM decklid is definitely the way to go. It may take more time hunting one down and will probably cost more to find a rust free one, but in the end it will save so many headaches. Especially with a panel like the decklid where it has to line up with so many other panels, any abnormal difference is extremely noticeable. Between my dad and I, we have 3 fastbacks that all need decklids, and with all the horror stories we have heard about repo panels, I will not touch them with a ten foot pole.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one thing i just discovered in the last few hours is the exts. mldg holes were filled and i knew that (kinda dumb not to do first thing), but decided to clean them both down just to get a true metal to metal fit and i found out that the drivers side is apparently a coup ext. the passanger side has the aftermarket 1/4 ( Ford die from NPD) which is just screwed into place for fit right now. the ext is very good but there is some real issues. i'm not opposed to do some heavier shaping with some all metal filler but there is a line i will not cross. this fit i s asking to cross it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts