Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to introduce myself and my true West Texas barn find 68 Fastback (see Marti Report below)
My first question is about the 289 that was going in it when it was parked 30 years ago in this West Texas, near Lubbock barn (see block number pic) and my 2nd question is
what would be a ball park figure if I wanted to sell the virtually rust free car with two extra 390 Fe's with GT heads ready for the ultimate "Bullitt" tribute?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Radar
6,862 Posts
So it's a C code automatic with air and power steering in totally unknown condition and maybe it runs and maybe it doesn't.

For a car like that condition is EVERYTHING. If you've got good comprehensive pics of it, post 'em, and then maybe you'll get a ballpark to play in.

Welcome to VMF. :yoho:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IS that engine pic a C code?
I know the Marti Report says C code but I don’t see a C in the numbers but there’s is a K ?
I think this engine was going into it and not the one that came out as it is also a 4 barrel.
Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Radar
6,862 Posts
If that's a K code block that's a separate deal because, well, it just is. And if it is a K there's the condition of that to consider. If you're seeking values on a car and motor(s) based purely on your written description and potential, it doesn't work that way. "Barn find" and "parked for thirty years" and "ready for ultimate Bullitt tribute" don't necessarily count for doodley squat.
Show us what you have or the "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS" gang is gonna show up. :smile2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a pic of the engine numbers.
Let me just stay with any help on the engine for now?
Obviously you are loaded for bear.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
No he''s right- pics are everything-
so your car is worth 8k to 25k- with title (you're in tx- read about the scam shop a few yrs ago making eleanors- title is critical) w/o pics its in between

your engine isn't original to the car- (numbers are not the last 6 digits- or even close)
what year engine- IDK- is it a K code engine IDK- you need more pics- front/side/distributor/harmonic balancer/exhaust manifolds

your engine maybe close to the value of the FB shell (or not- we need more pics or detailed description)
IF its a K code motor and rebuildable its worth a couple grand- IF you find out it was in a shelby and you find that guy- its worth serious money to that guy/gal alone. (it has a K stamping but thats easy to stamp) I cannot ID a real K but others here will- if ya give pics-

If its a plain old 289- you have a core- nothing special-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.
I’ve got car and engines stored in hanger.
Let me get them out in sun for more pics.
I appreciate your input and stepping in before the “gang” showed up.
I was not aware there was a way to tell it may have been in a Shelby if in fact it is a K code engine (?)
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
THeres isnt a "way" but to get close first determine if its a k code motor- then cross reference the last 6 digits to known shelbys- if it matches and you find out the owner is missing an original engine (and all date codes line up) then you could be pretty sure- (and they would likely be your new best friend

·
Premium Member
13,354 Posts
The car cannot be a Shelby because it is a C code (289 2V). All '65-'67 Shelby GT350's started life as K codes (289 HiPo). If your engine is actually a 289 HiPo it has value by itself. But it obviously does not belong to that body.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ll re iterate. The engine code pictured is not the original engine that came out of the car (289 /2 barrel according to Marti Report)
but was the engine in the barn with the car that apparently was going into car.
Thus has the K in engine code.
Hope this is clear.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,516 Posts
Welcome to VMF.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Depends on the condition of the car.. Pics?!???????

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts