Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of this car? Is it a good buy? I plan to go look at it in person but this is the advertiser’s info.

What I see
-some surface rust starting
-not correct engine, will the 351 fit in the 68 without modifing the engine compartment
-not correct color

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

68 Mustang Fastback pictures by trippyjane - Photobucket

·
Registered
111 Posts
I couldn't get the pics to enlarge so I couldn't tell much about the car. A 351W will fit into the engine compartment without modifications.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Aside from small pics couldn't find an asking price. The 351(W?) fits so well it takes a good eye to tell it's not a 302/289.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Aside from small pics couldn't find an asking price. The 351(W?) fits so well it takes a good eye to tell it's not a 302/289.
Look at the first pic in the album, it's got a description of the car and an asking price of $17,995.

I'd say that's a pretty decent looking car judging from the tiny pictures. I'd say the price was pretty fair.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Sorry when I first looked couldn't get the pics to expand or the spec sheet to get big enough to read!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Now that the pics are bigger. Look closely at each pic. There's a lot of really bad body work that doesn't get highlighted with the white paint. Just trying to give you my honest opinion. See my 68 vert sig pic. I'm not comming from a standpoint of expecting perfection. Unless I missed it didn't see any underside pics.

Slim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you point out the body work flaws? First glance it looked solid to me, but I might have on the wrong tint of glasses...

There are underside pics if you want to take a look.

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Damn i got a steal on my 68 fastback... I paid $3200 for a runnin 302 car with minor rust back when I was 16.... Still have it And my 69 Mach 1.... The hobby is so expensive now... I'm only 22 but 6 years ago I bought a car in almost the same shape for $3200... Good luck with the sale... 68 fastback are getting harder and harder to find...

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Can you point out the body work flaws? First glance it looked solid to me, but I might have on the wrong tint of glasses...

There are underside pics if you want to take a look.

Thanks
I'm only trying to help a relatively new member. Please for you own sake look close at the pics. JUst taking three at random: Pic 15 quarter looks twisted. The trim across the back should be roughly horizontal. This may be major quarter panel problem. Pic 29 area on roof above rear corner of door wimdow. Door gap by door handle is bent buggered, almost touches quarter. Bent louvers. Pic 35 fender between wheel opening and headlight. Looks like kinda sorta hammered out before paint.

Don't want you to just give a quick look over and be disappointed later.

Take care,
Slim

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I agree with slim looks like it has a lot of bad body work or it could be the pictures. When you look at it in person check it out slow and careful. The drivers door looks to be busted around the latch also. If i'm seeing what I think I am I don't think the price is that good. Good luck check it out careful.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Also looks like the front lower portion of the passenger door is rusting but hard to say for sure on the photo. On the picture of the drivers door end, looks like there is white overspray and possibly a newer paint job. I would be suspicious of a fresh paint job trying to hide bigger issues. Still, hard to tell on the photo. The 351 has a wider intake than the 289/302. Looks to me (still hard to say on pictures) that it is wider than a 302 intake.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It looks nice at first glance, but on closer inspection, you can tell it's pretty rough. I'd listen to these other guys, it looks like some sub-par body work. Definitely a 20 footer.

·
I won a special award
7,410 Posts
Too much for that car from what I can see. Depending on the hidden rust, I'd say it's maybe worth around $10,000

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Wow, don't want to rain on anyone's parade. But it looks like someone spilled a gallon of paint on a very tired car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts