Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Installing the tail lights on my 68 fastback and I'm having trouble aligning everything. Like an idiot, I through out my original housing and tail light assembly. Granted, the were pretty bad, but still.. broke the cardinal rule of not throwing anything until you're done.

Anyway, I bought used tail light housings off of ebay. They are from a 68. I've cross referenced from new and old, and they look exact. Problem is, they do not match the rear body panels contours. Also, the screw holes where the chrome bezel threaded rod comes through is off also.

So after tightening everything down, there's a gap between the housing and rear panel. There is also a gap between the chrome bezel and the panel. I'm starting to think the car had some rear damage to it and parts were replaced.

OR, should I be tightening everything down until the rubber seals compress fully? I'm afraid I will snap something.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,800 Posts
Okay. First, take everything back apart including removing the big rubber gasket from the housing. Then place the housing to the tail light panel and see if all the holes line up and the surfaces meet together well. If good, reinstall the rubber gasket but sprinkle some talcum powder or wipe a thin film of WD-40 on it (so it can be adjusted a bit as needed). Make sure the gasket is fully seated in the housing. Next hold that in place against the tail light panel and run a long thin phillips screwdriver (or something) through all of the six holes to ensure there are straight paths through each. With that done, try the bezels with the posts again, but you may find one or more need "tweaking" to go through. You can do that by gently, and I mean gently, putting some hand pressure on the threaded posts to move them a little bit to where they will go through everything straight. Take your time and be patient. This is all considered "soft trim" and calls for a deft and careful installation. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. First, take everything back apart including removing the big rubber gasket from the housing. Then place the housing to the tail light panel and see if all the holes line up and the surfaces meet together well. If good, reinstall the rubber gasket but sprinkle some talcum powder or wipe a thin film of WD-40 on it (so it can be adjusted a bit as needed). Make sure the gasket is fully seated in the housing. Next hold that in place against the tail light panel and run a long thin phillips screwdriver (or something) through all of the six holes to ensure there are straight paths through each. With that done, try the bezels with the posts again, but you may find one or more need "tweaking" to go through. You can do that by gently, and I mean gently, putting some hand pressure on the threaded posts to move them a little bit to where they will go through everything straight. Take your time and be patient. This is all considered "soft trim" and calls for a deft and careful installation. :thumbsup:
Ok, thanks for the advice. Took it all apart, and tried berthing without seals. I everything fits. It’s the rubber seals that throw everything out of whack. So I bought some washers and reinstalled everything moving it all around and tightening as I went. Little by little it all went together. Still a bit of a gap between the inside part of the chrome bezel and the body, but I think that’s just how it fits. Can’t tighten it anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts