Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my shock towers are gone, and my newly rebuilt FE 390 is going in.
What headers can I run now that there's more room ?

Are F100 headers out of the question ?

Also, my plans are to run old school side exhaust.
Any comments and/or help is appreciated.

Thanks !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the research I've done so far, it seems a Tri-Y or Factory Cast long tube headers might work best not just for fit but 'flow' as well.

I'm watching these on eBay but shy to pull the trigger due to the expense.
FORD FE FACTORY CAST IRON LONG TUBE HEADERS 390/427 C2AE8430B, C3AE9431-D

Thoughts ?

·
Super Moderator
10,044 Posts
Who still sells those?

I had a pair on my 75 Vette, waaay back in the day. You’ll burn yourself once or twice, then remember to step out WIDE!!

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
GT, I don't know of anyone who makes a header to put that engine into your car with the altered front suspension. EVERYTHING has to move, and you need a different oilpan. You may well end up having something custom done. I don't know that anyone has ever put the cast iron long tubes into a Mustang, with either kind of suspension. LSG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks LSG, yes, I have the double sump expensive Canton oil pan so no problems there !
The main question was concerning the sidepipes attachment from the header and it looks like Long Tubes wouldn't be good because of the 'S' bends needed to make the attachment.
The extra room without shock towers is a +plus but I still have Steering components to deal with, not too much of an issue with the Rack but it's still something I'm aware of.

Based on more research I've done, it seems the Sanders 'shorty' headers are the way to go. Performance might suffer a little but the hookup to my sidepipe collectors should be easier with less bends.

Any comments, recommendations, etc. are appreciated. I'd rather listen from someone who's been there than just take a stab in the dark and waste time & money returning unusable parts.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I would use a shorty header as the long tubes will have issues with the steering linkage for the rack. If someone makes a foxbody header for the Fe that would probably have a good chance of fitting

1 - 8 of 8 Posts