Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to purchase a factory floor console for my 68 coupe, automatic, factory air conditioning, with deluxe woodgrain interior. My question is, will the floor console have any woodgrain finish or just black camera case type finish?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm trying to purchase a factory floor console for my 68 coupe, automatic, factory air conditioning, with deluxe woodgrain interior. My question is, will the floor console have any woodgrain finish or just black camera case type finish?
Just the black camera case (chrome trimmed) insert.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
A '67 floor console in a mustang is the ONLY year console top was camera case looking. Why they're harder to find parts for.
The '68 mustang as well as the 67 & 68 cougar all had the lower console padded. Is why top cover bezels had holes in them, for the pad.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
A '67 floor console in a mustang is the ONLY year console top was camera case looking. Why they're harder to find parts for.
The '68 mustang as well as the 67 & 68 cougar all had the lower console padded. Is why top cover bezels had holes in them, for the pad.
I beg to differ. Here is my '68. It is camera case insert with the perimeter of chrome inserted into the pad.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
That's what I was referring to. The outer area of the console was padded. Not so in 67. Shifter plates maybe same. Also seat belt pockets different location as you know

·
Registered
677 Posts
I see what you were referring to and saying. Both '67 and '68 did have camera case on the top. Just different configuration due to the pad for '68. Do you know if the the pad was required by the feds for safety or they just decided to do it differently from '67?

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
To answer your question, I don't believe console has any gov safety concerns. Just a Ford design change. In 67, so many one year only things, console included.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I beg to differ. Here is my '68. It is camera case insert with the perimeter of chrome inserted into the pad. View attachment 738000
What is the bead trim have between the pad and the dash. All the consoles I have seen including mine gap there

·
Registered
677 Posts
What is the bead trim have between the pad and the dash. All the consoles I have seen including mine gap there
I bought a one yard piece of black vinyl covered beading off ebay to fill the gap. It came out nice. Here is a link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Welt-Piping-Marine-Vinyl-Upholstery-Trim-Boat-Auto/333112879562?var=542304251862&hash=item4d8f1329ca:g:RMcAAOSw2bRduvlV:sc:ShippingMethodExpress!60047!US!-1

over the years, the foam padding would shrink causing the gap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to thank you all for the replies. I'm going to go look at the floor console this weekend and hopefully purchase it!

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
There is no bead trim between the dash pad and the padded part of the console around the dash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts