Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm restoring a '68 GT390 Fastback. Anyone know what the black clip and bolt is for in the CJ Ponyparts tank screw kit (HW151)?
No mention of it in any of the video as and can't find anything online. Pretty sure mine only had the hex screws when I took it out - the car had been off the road for a few decades.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,379 Posts
The "J" clip and bolt are only for 65/66 models and it was installed on the driver's side rear iirc. Your "68 used eleven screws (all the same). That CJ's kit will be one screw less than the factory application for '68. NPD has the correct kit for your car: Part# 9002-1AK.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I'm pretty sure the clip is for holding the fuel sender wire in place in the back where it goes from one side of the car to the other. At least on my 67 anyway. Here's an old pic where you can see there's one on either side.
67-gas_tank.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,379 Posts
I'm pretty sure the clip is for holding the fuel sender wire in place in the back where it goes from one side of the car to the other. At least on my 67 anyway. Here's an old pic where you can see there's one on either side.
View attachment 722668
My '68 had/has no evidence of anything like that ever being installed, only the two smaller clips along the front flange of the tank. Perhaps they made a change from '67 to '68 though, there were quite a few, but it may also have just been added by a PO somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
859 Posts
View attachment 722668

look closer. that is not the same style clip used in o/p parts pic. the o/p's clip is only for 65-66 as stated in another post. it is for bumper guard mounting.

·
Premium Member
6,379 Posts
Any idea what the larger blank holes are around the tank and matching in the shell?
I always figured those were there for assembly line jig alignment. The weld & sealant manual shows sealer applied directly over them which will ooze a bit through when the tank is installed to close them off. If your fuel tank has holes that match them I'd say your tank may not be as original was. For '68 there were two screws on each side, three front, and four rear edge. The rear also has holes (two) for the rear bumperette bolts, a separate topic/application.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always figured those were there for assembly line jig alignment. The weld & sealant manual shows sealer applied directly over them which will ooze a bit through when the tank is installed to close them off. If your fuel tank has holes that match them I'd say your tank may not be as original was. For '68 there were two screws on each side, three front, and four rear edge. The rear also has holes (two) for the rear bumperette bolts, a separate topic/application.
Thanks Magnus

I thought the clip must be for earlier models. I'm fitting a brand new tank listed for the 68 (CJ again) which is identical to the one I took out. I'm pretty sure that was original - the car had lain untouched for a long time and hadn't been messed with. Odd.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,299 Posts
The j nut and bolt go in the back (as in back of the car) and hold the bumperettes (spelling) on IIRC.

·
Premium Member
6,379 Posts
The j nut and bolt go in the back (as in back of the car) and hold the bumperettes (spelling) on IIRC.
The 65/66's had the one "J" nut and bolt installed on the driver's side rear, and it may have been dual purpose for both the tank and the bumperette on that side. Not sure, mine's a '68. For '68 there were two on the rear and they were for the bumperette mounting points (again, a separate application). CJ's kit is generic and meant to cover all early years, but it isn't concours correct for all, and doesn't include the bumperette mounting bolts for '68. It's tank install only.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I have the Osborn 1967 Weld/Sealant Manual, and can't find any reference to sealing the gas tank. Does anyone know what page it is located on?

·
Premium Member
6,379 Posts
I have the Osborn 1967 Weld/Sealant Manual, and can't find any reference to sealing the gas tank. Does anyone know what page it is located on?
Sorry J, I confused the manuals by trusting my memory. It's in Osborn Body Assembly, and the number of screws is in Osborn Chassis.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, that has been a huge help.

I got that a bit wrong, having installed the tank, only the rear two spare holes line up and that fits with the bumperette info 4ocious. Otherwise, the number of the other screws and holes is correct, so all is good with the world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts