Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was hoping that you all could help me. I have a 1968 Mustang GT convertible, Candyapple red with a black deluxe interior. It is loaded with air, power disc, power steering, glass back window, woodgrain dash and console. It in really good shape except the paint is old and has some chips here and there. I would like to sell it so here is my question. Do you guys think that I would make more money selling it as a GT with a new paint job, or would I make more turning it into a Shelby GT350 or GT500KR convertible clone. I have a great body guy so the time in fitting the fiberglass parts is not all that much.

Could you give me an idea of what an average selling price is for a Mustang GT convertible, and for a Shelby Clone?

I would like a fast answer as I am about to order the fiberglass for Christmas....

Also, I can post a photo if that helps.

Thanks
Hayden

·
Registered
482 Posts
I myself would sell the car as is rather than put the money into a paint job. SOmeone who pruchases the car may want to paint it a differant color rather than the color it is. Also, with the price of a paint job being around $10K for a nice job, will you get the money out of it by selling it after it is painted. I also would not clone since I like original. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
In my opinion, I would keep her original!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a photo (if I understand how to do this right) Actually the paint is not that bad. I got an estimate for a "show quality" paint job for $2,600. The guy won best paint a a Goodguys meet in Indianapolis this summer.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/18268front_quarter_pass.JPG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is an interior photo and engine photo. Any ideas as to value???

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/18268Christmas_2005_Mustang_017.jpg

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/18268Engine_68_GT.JPG

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/18268Christmas_2005_Mustang_023.jpg

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sad to say, but the Shelby clones are bringing the money. Prolly triple the value. I say go for it while the fad is in full swing. That is if you are only in it for the profit.

Lstar

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
WOW! Nice car. Most people here know me as a clone advocate. But I personally would have a VERY hard time talking myself into cloning a car that had THAT much going for it out of the box. That tach cluster alone is worth a nice chunk of change. To do a Shelby clone on a vert you are talking about $7,500 in parts to do an authentic looking clone with all the goodies like rollbar, wheels, console and a full glass kit. A GOOD clone will bring $35K but most of the time the clones that bring $35K and up are big block clones or they have a special high HP SB engine. A 4spd/5spd helps with value a lot too. The top dollar clones all have TCP or equivalent suspension, large brakes, etc. I saw one VERY authentic dual-quad 428 4spd red clone reach $50K and no sale without meeting reserve. I think a small block automatic variant will be held below the $35K mark though. Realistically, if you took that car and made a GT-350 clone without any additional engine or supension mods I'd say a $32K would be about right.

As far as an original value of the GT, I'm less of an expert, but I'd say that you car is worth $18K-$22K as-is. Maybe $21K-$24K painted with a "show quality" repaint and a bumper to bumper detailing.

So, really, in your case I'd say that a Shelby clone is not the way to go if you are looking merely for an investment in $$/time. Cloning is something I suggest for rougher cars or plain jane cars since the before vs after value spread is so wide. Since your is worth a good bit "before", it kind of takes away the incentive to do the clone when $$ is the main goal.

On a personal note, I'd hate to see such a well optioned GT get lost in a sea of clones too. ::

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
On a personal note, I'd hate to see such a well optioned GT get lost in a sea of clones too. ::
That pretty much says it all for me too. Make the clones out of the lesser desirable cars. I'd keep this one in GT form. Looks very nice.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Leave it for all the above reasons. It'll cost you more than you'll gain. 68 Shelby fiberglass is not easy add on either.
Your car is already a highly desireable car in its true form. Don't lessen it by making it a copy.
However, I qualify my statements by saying we made our replica from a NON-optioned, NON-GT, very plain, lime gold C-code convertible. It could only get better.
http://a8.cpimg.com/image/80/C2/49383808-6d54-01E00140-.jpg

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have a clone, but I would not turn your car into a clone, It's too clean and it's a GT. About 5 years I made a clone out of a 68 convertible and I used a plain Jane 6 cylinder car as my starting point but I would not start with a GT or higher end car. Your car looks great as is, sell it as is, you'll get a good amount for it.

·
Administrator
19,505 Posts
Keep that beautiful pony original!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
your car should bring min 30k if underside as nice as topside! dont do anything and advertise it on ebay w/30k reserve,might go a lot higher wes

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
your car should bring min 30k if underside as nice as topside! dont do anything and advertise it on ebay w/30k reserve,might go a lot higher wes
Sorry, but I just don't see $30K even on E-bay. For his sake, I hope I'm wrong. The only way to know for sure is to list it. I'd sure be intyerested in watching the listing if he chooses to list it as-is!! ::

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of your input.

Maybe I will post an ad here for it as is.

Do you think it would bring more money here or on Ebay? Where would it sell quicker? I have too many toys, need to sell something.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts