Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,891 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
This is "industry standard" #4415 (clear) and #4415A (Amber). These are available at most bulb suppliers for less than $10. However, they won't necessarily say "FOG" on them. As noted above, you can ourchase the "correct Repo" from NPD, for about $22.

Bob

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
Hmmm… That's an industry standard size. It is possible to purchase aircraft landing lights that will fit, in truly stupidly bright capacity. For that you'd need a relay for power and likely a bigger alt.

IIRC, the stock lamps are 35W. Typical landing lights are 100W, (some run twice that) and the LED versions as well. I'm not kidding about the "stupid" part, my Dad had such lights on his car when I was a kid, you could feel heat from the lamps 20 feet in front of the car, and shining them on opposing traffic could easily have blinded drivers and caused accidents.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Various old threads around here call the landing lights "PAR36". So that might be the thing to search for if you really need to light up the night.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Hmmm… That's an industry standard size. It is possible to purchase aircraft landing lights that will fit, in truly stupidly bright capacity. For that you'd need a relay for power and likely a bigger alt.

IIRC, the stock lamps are 35W. Typical landing lights are 100W, (some run twice that) and the LED versions as well. I'm not kidding about the "stupid" part, my Dad had such lights on his car when I was a kid, you could feel heat from the lamps 20 feet in front of the car, and shining them on opposing traffic could easily have blinded drivers and caused accidents.
In high school electronics class we had some 28-volt landing light bulbs kicking around. We'd hook them up to the test bench and dial the DC voltage up to around 36... if you held a piece of loose-leaf paper about a foot in front of the bulb you could light it on fire. LOL. Don't ask me what we did with old tube-type TV can-type capacitors......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was hoping that it wasnt a sealed beam and I could upgrade. Oh well. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm no expert but do some searches here and you'll find lots of stuff. Basically the old wiring becomes a switching circuit for powering loads through heavier wires directly from a twelve volt source. Also reduces a lot of stresses from the old wiring and switches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts