Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen both clear and amber colored fog lights on 68's, which is correct? My car was built jan-feb at the San Jose plant, if that changes anything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a red 68 GT fastback, back in '82 it had amber foglights. It was 2 owner car when I got it and I remember asking about the color and he said it came that way when he bought it around '75. I currently have blue 68 GT convert that has clear foglights, they are original to the car. Not sure if car color had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
My 67 GT was sold in MA. I have pics dating back to early 80's, car orig looking with amber lights.
From what I've heard/read, some states like MA didn't allow center mount "white lights", so they had to have amber lights.
So I still have amber GT lights.

Not sure 100% true, so take it from there... but maybe..

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I have a picture of my 68 from 1971 with white lights. At some point dad changed them amber (in sig pic)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Fog lights

As far as I've ever seen, clear was factory, but NAPA has just about whatever you want. I've had amber in mine before, and I also have red and blue, but in FL, you can't have either showing, on or off. You'll also see some just clear, but originals and repros have "fog" on the lens. Mine are clear, but are really aircraft landing lights. I can spot that deer 1/2 mile away! Just personal preference.

Attachments

·
Registered
33,940 Posts
I can't recall ever seeing anything other than clear from the factory. Of course, it's just your standard PAR36 sealed beam so any number of colors (including amber, blue, red, etc.) were/are available.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Believe that the "Amber GT Bulbs" were Aftermarket only. Never seen a '65-'68 Assembly line picture ever with a car with Amber bulbs....nor have I ever seen Original Ford Literature mention it either..

With all that being said, functionally The Amber bulbs will work better than the Clear bulbs in a real-life Fog situation.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Believe that the "Amber GT Bulbs" were Aftermarket only. Never seen a '65-'68 Assembly line picture ever with a car with Amber bulbs....nor have I ever seen Original Ford Literature mention it either..

With all that being said, functionally The Amber bulbs will work better than the Clear bulbs in a real-life Fog situation.

Tony K.
Or... perhaps not an assembly line install but IF different states had laws against clear fog light bulbs, each dealer would then change them out to meet the states laws.

Maybe.

I know my 67 was unrestored and had been off the road since early 80's when I bought it. It looked all orig. Gotta believe there was some sort of circumstance around fog lights back then.

After all, perhaps the same rule for the early '67 Shelby center mounted lights applied. Federal gov made Ford move them father apart mid 67 product. Is what I understand...
My brother in-law has owned his early 67 Shelby since the 70's, I could ask him.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
My 67 GT came from Ford with clear fogs. I know 'cuz we where there on the second Saturday of April '67 to pick up the car at the dealership. See my sig pic.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
My guess - and it only remains that - is that while Ford shipped the GT optioned cars with clear fogs, your friendly (and cash-eager) Ford dealer would happily sell you the amber fogs over the counter.
While you were at it, how about a dual quad setup for your new Mustang. Maybe a 427 SOHC for your Galaxie? I'm sure they'd even sell you the counter itself if you were serious back then. In March '67 the salesman tried selling my father on various options, like, and I quote: "the courtesy light package (Check ) the GT350 package (No)." Just another factory option, right? Not when you're on a budget.
I know these were when you ordered the car vs "over the counter", but the $$$$$ all still flowed into the same place.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
"'68 Ford Accessories book shows both clear and amber lenses available from your local Ford dealer."

"your friendly (and cash-eager) Ford dealer would happily sell you the amber fogs over the counter. "

Yep, Sure could. Ford did offer the Amber bulbs through the Ford Parts Counter....but that was about it.. They never came on a brand new car...off the assembly line that is..

Tony K.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
My guess - and it only remains that - is that while Ford shipped the GT optioned cars with clear fogs, your friendly (and cash-eager) Ford dealer would happily sell you the amber fogs over the counter.
While you were at it, how about a dual quad setup for your new Mustang. Maybe a 427 SOHC for your Galaxie? I'm sure they'd even sell you the counter itself if you were serious back then. In March '67 the salesman tried selling my father on various options, like, and I quote: "the courtesy light package (Check ) the GT350 package (No)." Just another factory option, right? Not when you're on a budget.
I know these were when you ordered the car vs "over the counter", but the $$$$$ all still flowed into the same place.
To add to this, I know back in early 60's a T-Bird or Galaxie that was ordered with Tri-Power option, the setup was shipped in the trunks of that car. Dealers then had to install them...
Ford didn't want to interrupt the fast production lines with rare options..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like I found my answer, at least for my car anyway. My buddy, who was the second owner in 73', sent me a few pictures from back in the day. This car came with amber fog lights.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Looks like I found my answer, at least for my car anyway. My buddy, who was the second owner in 73', sent me a few pictures from back in the day. This car came with amber fog lights.
You need to realize that doesn't prove anything, not conclusively anyway. The original owner may have swapped them out before your buddy purchased it.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
For you Concours entrants: Clear lenses. I had a 66 GT. The car was springtome yellow. It looked better with amber foglights, so, in they went. Any other color than clear is the owners prefference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts