Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the trick for removing the strut rods on my '68 GT? I have the nuts off the front of the rods but cannot break the nuts/bolts from the LCA. Do I need to raise the wheels to break these free? Is there a trick to this?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The bolts are shoulder bolts, and are a press fit into the strut. The nuts must be removed from underneath. An air wrench is often required. A wrench holding the bolt heads is probably a good idea, if the nuts are really rusty.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolts are shoulder bolts, and are a press fit into the strut. The nuts must be removed from underneath. An air wrench is often required. A wrench holding the bolt heads is probably a good idea, if the nuts are really rusty.
I have the nuts from under the LCA removed. How do I remove the bolts? The bolts and the rods will not budge.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
A prybar or BFH is next.

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
the bolts should be left in. they have a knurled shoulder. is there a problem with the bolts ? take a prybar or large screwdriver and work it between the a-arm and strut rod. somethimes they are really stuck in there. its suppose to be a tight fit so it doesnt move. it helps if the rubber bushings on the front of the rod are removed and the nut should be taken off first b 4 you take the rod off the lca.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the bolts should be left in. they have a knurled shoulder. is there a problem with the bolts ? take a prybar or large screwdriver and work it between the a-arm and strut rod. somethimes they are really stuck in there. its suppose to be a tight fit so it doesnt move. it helps if the rubber bushings on the front of the rod are removed and the nut should be taken off first b 4 you take the rod off the lca.
They are really stuck in. I will try the the prybar. Don't need to remove the bolts, just need to get the rods out to replace the bushings.

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
They are really stuck in. I will try the the prybar. Don't need to remove the bolts, just need to get the rods out to replace the bushings.
i'v removed quite a few over the years and know exactly what your going through. wedge it in between the 2 bolts and pry straight up. prying at an angle will just make it worse.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strut rods are off. A couple of pops on the prybar and they popped right off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts