Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm restoring a '68 GT390 Fastback 4-speed manual. Engine is original 390 4V but exhaust headers are aftermarket and I think it may be the wrong carb which is a Carter AFB A0 9625 SA. A bit of research suggests this is a 625cfm carb and that the number 625 relates to Chevy applications. Ford applications should be 627 according to one of the Carter info sites. I guess it's possible that its correct (looks as though it's been there a long time) but I can't find any evidence that it is.

Any pointers to an accurate resource would be appreciated. Basically I just need to know correct carb and carb setup for a stock '68 GT 390 4V with manual carb. This is a California car so has the rudimentary emissions kit (rocker cover breathers into intake).

Thanks

G

·
Your carburetor should be a Holley. That is if you really want the correct carb. A lot of different carbs will work, but a 600 Holley is the OEM carb.When you start buying OEM carbs, they get expensive. So you need to decide if the actual correct carb is what you want. A 390 carb is not expensive like a correct 428CJ carb is, but it's more than a typical Holley 600 will cost and that carb will work just fine. So . .what do you want?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
For a '67 GT390 it would be a Holley list 4742 in todays world. Just like the pic in post #2, but without the bowl vent cap.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
36,558 Posts
The 67-68 390GT Mustang engine used a Holley carburetor, specially-made for Ford. They looked like the 4150, but the dual fuel inlet and secondary pump were blanked. The 69 390GT used an Autolite 4300.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My preference would be the correct OEM carb with the correct jetting etc for that engine. As always I'd need to see what the costs are. Thanks for the info.

Your carburetor should be a Holley. That is if you really want the correct carb. A lot of different carbs will work, but a 600 Holley is the OEM carb.When you start buying OEM carbs, they get expensive. So you need to decide if the actual correct carb is what you want. A 390 carb is not expensive like a correct 428CJ carb is, but it's more than a typical Holley 600 will cost and that carb will work just fine. So . .what do you want?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are these available as new/old stock or remanufactured and would they come jetted correctly?

The 67-68 390GT Mustang engine used a Holley carburetor, specially-made for Ford. They looked like the 4150, but the dual fuel inlet and secondary pump were blanked. The 69 390GT used an Autolite 4300.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You can find them used on Ebay. It would need to be rebuilt by a competent rebuider who can confirm the jetting. I think they came with 65 and 72s.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yes, 65 and 72 main jets, however, nowadays they seem to spec 63 / 72. Purple secondary diaphragm spring. I would call Summit Racing and see what they have to offer in the way of a factory replacement Holley, then go from there.
P.S. yes PP, I have a 67, not 68, picky picky picky!

G

·
There's a series of repro carbs, new but are like the old. Or if you want the real thing, there are a number of places that offer freshly rebuilt correct original cabs. But you pay for it.

G

·
Mechanically and OEM, yes. There will be linkage for the kickdown rod on an automatic carb. That is why they created a different list number.Most aftermarket universals will have the linkage on them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the repros are identical I'd be happy with that. Can you suggest any sources? I've got an email query into Holley tech support but no response as yet. Couldn't see any carbs on the Summit site at all but will speak to them today.

There's a series of repro carbs, new but are like the old. Or if you want the real thing, there are a number of places that offer freshly rebuilt correct original cabs. But you pay for it.

G

·
I shouldn't have spoken until I double checked. Holley used to have a line, rather large, of replacement carburetors for older muscle cars. Now when I check, it has whittled down to 11 carbs. And Ford it's included :( Wonder why? I guess not enough sales? So . . you can find rebuilt carbs from carb dealers or ebay if you want the original look. Here's one that is like the one yours would have.

Original Ford Holley for Comet/Fairlane/Mustang 390 GT Carburetor C6OF-M | eBay

. . . but it's actually an older than '68 carb. basically the same. However, from some of the Ford parts suppliers and carb guys, this exact '68 carb can be found. Expect to pay $300-$400, on the higher end, if redyed as well. Or if you wanted brand new, there are 600 cfm Holleys available new, but don't look exactly the same as your '68 would.

You might give Carl a call here and see what he has or can find.

http://www.carlsfordparts.com/main.html?carbs.html~content

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
That looks decent on ebay. 7 hours left on listing. Looks like it came off a '66 Comet/Fairlane. $305 shipped, and rebuilt already.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again guys. I didn't mention that I'm in the UK so there are restrictions whether private sellers will ship here but the ebay carb looks interesting.

Spoke to Holley tech who said they no longer do a 750cfm - only a 670 or 770. This is odd as Summit are listing 750 cfm 4150 and 4160 Holleys. They recommend this 4160 but I notice it has kickdown. I didn't mention this was a manual so I'll call them back.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hly-0-80508s/overview/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha ha! Tech guy at Summit says he would keep the Carter. Great carb, stays set up, less tinkering than a Holley. Food for thought. Would still like the original if I could find the exact original without taking out a second mortgage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts