Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
While my engine and old exhaust is off the car, I'm gonna put some new mufflers and a H-pipe on the car.
Was wondering what people think of getting the whole kit the retails for about $280 and has the transverse muffler (when I got my car is only had straight pipes into what could be original resonators back out thru thru the quad tips).

tia,
Mike

Mike
Cortland Manor, NY
'68 GT390 FB, 4spd bench seat
http://www.geocities.com/stangman39/stangsho.html

·
Registered
464 Posts
I put a kit in a 67 coupe and one in a 66 coupe and both of them fit under the car but they didn't fit quite as nice as I would have liked where if I had a tube bender it could have been tweeked a little to fit over the rear axle. On my 67 fast back I just bought the H pipe and had a muffler shop put on the rest and they commented how they had to tweek the H pipe because it was not centered on the car.
scott

·
Registered
227 Posts
I didn't like the idea of a transverse muffler with resonators so I went with dual mufflers under the rear seats and had some pipes bent up & over the rear to exit out at the stock location. IIRC the dual mufflers were installed stock on another application so all the brackets & pipes from the manifolds to the mufflers bolted right up. Used sonic turbos. The muffler shop even expanded the dual tips to fit.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd take it to a muffler shop too and have them put mufflers in from the H-pipe back. However, John who is working on my car, it doesn't make sense for me to pay him to put the old exhaust back in just for me to remove it and I don't really want to drive the car home (20 mins...) w/just an H-pipe. I was hoping I could get some stuff that would fit well enuf so John could weld it all up and I'd be done with it. Guess I have to think this out some more. Have to talk to my buddy with a '67GT390 FB and see if he has the "stock" setup.

Mike

Mike
Cortland Manor, NY
'68 GT390 FB, 4spd bench seat
http://www.geocities.com/stangman39/stangsho.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts