Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible/difficult to put 68 headsrests on 67 seats? Im thinking of making this addition for safety reason on a 67 fastback. Is this worth the time and expense?

Mike

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You should be able to put these on there. I have a pair of black ones if you are looking for some. I believe they are '68 may be '69. let me know and I will take a pic of them for you.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I believe I read that the late 60s std seats have different backrest frames than 67.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
The very rare 68 headrest was butt-ugly, and will be hard to find if you don't already have them. Why not just get the TMI headrest kits?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I have TMI "Sport" '67 headrests on my '68 seats. They are made for '67 frames. The '67 and '68 frames are different.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
The very rare 68 headrest was butt-ugly, and will be hard to find if you don't already have them. Why not just get the TMI headrest kits?
Some butts look darn nice! Thinking of the female variety!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Another option is to find a set of 69 Std Seats.

no need for me to add pics of the headrests that I have, because they look just like these only in better shape. my '67 had those same seats in it 20+ years ago when I bought it. the only thing good on the seats were the headrests so I kept them.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
FYI, in case any of you didn't know, TMI will sew up custom covers for '69 seats to match your year. They said they would be happy to do a '69 set with 65 stitching patterns and materials. Kind of nervous to see what it will cost though. :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hmmm..... I happen to like the '68 headrests... and think they look better than '69s! Are you sure your not referring to the Over the counter kit, that Ford sold to retrofit cars? If so.... I agree, that those weren't the most pleasing to the eye....

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Hmmm..... I happen to like the '68 headrests... and think they look better than '69s! Are you sure your not referring to the Over the counter kit, that Ford sold to retrofit cars? If so.... I agree, that those weren't the most pleasing to the eye....
To each his own. The 68 rest is too big, and the cylindrical shape style does not match the seat. And yes, I know the difference between that and the earlier rest.

As for the TMI rest, I have seen it mounted on 68 seats. Never tell a pro something can't be done.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
To each his own. The 68 rest is too big, and the cylindrical shape style does not match the seat. And yes, I know the difference between that and the earlier rest.
Never tell a pro something can't be done.

Let's just agree.... to Disagree!

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
68's won't fit a 67. Different seat back/mount. One year only mount.

As for cylindrical, not from the factory. As noted the clunky dealer installed are very odd looking but the factory are very similar shape to 69's, just with two posts instead of one...

Factory (integral to seat)

Add on diagram (dealer bolt on to back of seat)

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
No. 69 will not bolt in a 68, requires modifying the upper section of the frame to adapt to take the 4 bolt pattern for the 69 slider mechanism.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Not the best pics but...

'68, headrest dual posts mount in sliders bolted to the seat back in the 4 oval holes across the upper support

69' Wider (taller) support provided two channels with bolt points, 2 bolts top, 2 bottom. Also a differnt cutout in upper part of frame back 9and foam) to suit the single post. Can't mount to stock '68, but it could be modified pretty easily to suit.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Which is handy, because the entire 69 headrest is available new.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
as previously stated I have a pair of 69 head rests if the OP is interested.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts